1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Probably could have had a 600 mile tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusham, Jun 20, 2005.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    If I were a little more of a risk taker :?

Looks like I had about a gallon and a half left until fumes. What do you guys and gals think?

6/19 Owosso, MI ODO 11,915 miles

Fuel 10.203 US/G @ $2.199 = $22.44

515 miles driven at 50.48 MPG Lifetime AVG = 43.60 MPG

MFD = 51.50 MPG Pump Autoshutoff @ 9.931 US/G for 51.86 MPG

Data from my Prius website at:

http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

2. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

I had similar thoughts this morning, while filling up my Prius. The last few tanks I've really been pushing the limits, as I had waited until the blinking square had been on for some time before I filled up the tank. In part due to some threads in this forum, I decided that I was foolishly playing with fire, so when the gauge went from two squares to one square this morning I stopped at the gas station.

Alas, it only took 8.790 gallons to fill up the tank (using the auto-shutoff), while my last two fill-ups were over 10 gallons.

I only went 524 miles on the last tank, but since my computed mpg for the tank was 59.61, I'm pretty certain that I could have made it to 600 miles.

Oh well, it was only the fourth time I filled up the car, and my how things have changed. I was disappointed that I didn't get to 500 miles on my first two tanks. It's rather amusing that now I'm regretting not trying for 600 miles.

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im disappointed that I have only crossed 400 miles 3 times my whole year and a few of ownership. But then again, I drive like the teenager I am! ;)

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Same here... I'm tempted on putting a gas can in the trunk when the blink comes on. I seem to be pushing it further and futher every time. I got 540 miles out of my last tank, and took it to the gas station maybe 15 miles after the blinking started...

10.xxx some-odd gallon fill up too...

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Yeah Squid... I kinda though about putting a one gallon container of gas in the car and pushing the 600 mile goal... but why play (literally) with fire?

I'm pretty sure I could have made it too! From the point I fueled up, to my home another 70 miles away, I showed 54.0 MPG on the MFD! And that was a lot of expressway mileage. Remarkable.

Either the car magically "broke in" this weekend, or the second Mobile 1 oil change helped, because these are record figures for me.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Most of you should be able to go to 600 miles, especially if you manage to get an extra gallon in from auto-shutoff.