1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Probably old news Prius stops if FOB is missing

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by IABoy987, Sep 1, 2024 at 5:49 PM.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On a morning news cast the narrator showed that if you and fob leave your car, someone can jump in and drive off.

So being the engineer curious, the wife and I tried an experiment. On our very quiet road I got out with her purse with fob and she drove off. At some point the car chirped no key detected. She drove and turned around without stopping and came back to house, stopped,, and thats all the car went. No more movement. Gave back purse, car was happy and wife put it into garage.

So while this is probably old news, but still good to know how car would respond if fob battery died while driving and the warning popped up. I know that you can put fob on steering wheel some place(?) and it can be read. Does the software then remove the warning until you turn car off? Starting again would require placing fob on steering wheel or replacing battery.. Can't imagine trying to drive while holding fob against steering wheel with one hand

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My fob for my 2011 Gen3 has gone through many batteries. On the second or third time, I experimented with it. The fob must touch the 'Push to start' button. But only on one specific corner of the fob, so I marked which corner it is.

Since I did that, it is no longer such a big deal when the battery dies.

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Specifically the Toyota Emblem on the FOB must touch the Start Button.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think there is any part that specifically must 'touch' the start button. The little RFID chip contained inside the fob just has to be within range of the start button's RFID antenna.