1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Probably stupid MP3 player connection question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rufaro, Jun 21, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here I am, with my shiny new '06, with the nifty aux connection in the console. And here I am, being made, as usual, feeling like a stupid bloody dinosaur by my kid. And I DID try to search for an answer, but butted up against head units head cases wam dram thank you mam for TWENTY-THREE PAGES. So, I figured, seeing that little place to stick a plug, that all I would need to use my mp3 (non-ipod) player was a male to male plug, and hey, presto, there I would be with all my tunes displayed and playing. Well, kid says, basically, mom you ignorant slut...[​IMG]
    Well, he says, just yer basic male to male stereo plug won't pass all that info, you need something else. What else, she says. How am I supposed to know what works in YOUR car, he says...Well, back in MY day, of course, we had to use unpicked barbed wire to string our tin cans together to make a telegraph, so how the hell do I know what the hell kinda wire in my car? I mean, we didn't even have CARS back in the day, by god, just roller skates...with KEYS and one METAL wheel on EACH CORNER. And you had to attach em to your shoes. If you had shoes.

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

So, what kinda connector do I need? [​IMG] Please help me save face here! <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Male miniature stereo plug to male miniature stereo plug - Radio Shack $4.95. It's about 12 inches long.

3. roopesh

roopesh New Member

Yup, just a 3.5mm male-to-male cable. Keep in mind that all you're going to get is audio, no data display (track name, artist, etc.).

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roopesh @ Jun 21 2006, 05:24 AM) [snapback]274580[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, so he was right. Dammit. [​IMG] IS there a way to get it to display? [​IMG] Or, no...now I'm reading the f... manual. I can rip mp3 cds that'll display, and if I want to get fancy...well, that's a whole other kettle of fish. POOP. I need to shut up before I further display my total ignorance and somebody tells my kid on me...[​IMG]

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm in the same boat as you, although I have a 2005 so I don't have an Aux input (nor does the CD player handle MP3s). I'm using a cassette adapter if I want to use my MP3 player (portable CD player that can play MP3s) or my portable XM radio.

Unfortunately the only solution I can see is buy an iPod and get an integration unit like the DICE. That way you'll have the information on the MFD. I've ordered the DICE and will use the aux input that it has for my portable XM. I'll be getting an iPod later on to replace my MP3 player.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 21 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]274678[/snapback]</div>
    Ok...here's a red rag...I do not do APPLE mwahh haahhh haahhh...[​IMG]

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 21 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]274729[/snapback]</div>
    Heh, you sound like my friend who's IT at a Linux company. He says "I don't do Windows." :)

Seriously, if I had a 2006, I simply rip the MP3s to CD.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 22 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]275253[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. That's gonna be it. I got the mp3 player to take on airplanes. I have a bunch of very unemphatic classical-type stuff recorded to plug into my Bose QuietComfort headphones so I don't kill anyone while I am flying. An example of an expensive toy that was far cheaper than its alternative, which was the defense lawyer I would have needed after I killed any one of several incredibly irritating people who WOULD NOT SHUT THE F**K UP for entire transcontinental flights, and talked about their love lives, this rilly great magazine article about self-actualization, how much they couldn't stand the crying baby on their last flight, etc etc etc. And I lost my cd case, which had been filled with all my classical cds, when we were late landing and about to miss a connection and I neglected to check in the seat around me for items I may have removed during my flight...[​IMG] [​IMG] NOT a shoe bomb! Please do not report me!

9. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 21 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]274675[/snapback]</div>
    Short answer... NO.

The Aux In is an AUDIO ONLY analog interface.

If you want all of the Data displayed on the MFD, you will need a much more advanced interface lice the ICE link or the Vais Ipod interface.

The interface will have to be designed for your MP3 player and interface with the MFD.

In practice this means that you will need to have an ipod.

Installation will require a partial disassembly of the dash to gain access to the interface plug on the back of the radio. The interface will also have a connector for the ipod.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An interesting note on all of this. I just noticed, while playing a regular cd, no title or tracks show on the MFD. However, if I play one I ripped, it's all there. Just as well I intend to rip some cds so I don't have to carry 'em all with me to hear the few tracks on each I really want to listen to--and have more on each disk (maybe) so I don't have to scrabble around trying to find what I want to play next. No, I have no intention of dismantling my dash!

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There aren't that many commercial CDs that have the information inbedded that will display on the MFD. Some CD burning software has the ability to put that in.

At least that's what I've been told.

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 25 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]276484[/snapback]</div>
    The free download of RealPlayer definitely does, and I also think that Windows Media Player and QuickTime do as well. I know that RP will save tracks to a library while you are listening to a cd, which I haven't figured out if MP will--my husband thinks not, but I haven't tried. MP actually OFFERS to do it. This I discovered last night, after going out to by cds yesterday by some of the people who we saw in the Ringo and the All Starrs Tour on Wednesday night...specifically Billy Squier...man, I have not rocked out like that for YEARS, and what is REALLY scary is how many of those guys up on that stage are grandparents--and I can't keep up with them! What was really cool was all the walkers and wheelchairs in the mosh pit! :lol:

13. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious about an adapter for the DICE link as well.
    From the looks of it, they seem to have designed it with swapability in mind (even if they haven't implemented it yet.)

Seems like it would just need a different connector cable to interface with the non-Apple mp3 player (and possibly some firmware update to support said device.)
    Anyone know anything?

I would like to have such an option because although the AUX IN is just fine for listening, I still have to reach over and mess with the buttons on the mp3 player if I ever want to repeat or skip songs. Problem is, it's so small and sits deep in my cup holder that it ends up being a more complicated (and car-swerving) than I feel comfortable with while driving.

An interface with the steering controls (via DICE or whatever) would be most excellent.

14. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

For my aux input, I purchased a cable from Best Buy. I think it was called a mini-8, or something like that. That permits me to connect my iPod to the stereo. No display is shown. :angry:

You can burn CDs with CD-text using a number of programs. I use Toast.

Don't let the kids keep you down. :)

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Manksgloob @ Jun 25 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]276559[/snapback]</div>
    The DICE (and VIAS) are designed for the iPod. They both have an AUX input, which is the same as what you have in the 2006 (although the VIAS uses RCA cables). If you have an iPod then either will be fine and will have the interphase with the buttons and the MFD. The AUX input is only for audio input.

I have a 2005, so I don't have a built-in MP3 player and AUX input, so either the DICE or VIAS will allow me to connect my portable XM radio into their AUX input. I plan to get an iPod to use as my MP3 player.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 25 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]276484[/snapback]</div>
    A couple of CDs that I bought recently do display the track information on the MFD, so I am guessing that there is some newer format for ID tags. If you burn MP3s on a CD and play them (assuming you have the JBL stereo), they will dsplay on the MFD.

17. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the funniest thread I have ever read! the awful picturs just add the the amusement.

18. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jun 24 2006, 06:39 AM) [snapback]276279[/snapback]</div>
    Question - in my brief review of the ICE link or the Vais Ipod interface, it seemed like you would have to disconnect the CD player. I have a 2006 Pkg #8. Is that correct?

You said "lice". :D

19. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jun 29 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]278965[/snapback]</div>
    I know that DICE is working on the 2006 and the VAIS may work now. In any case you won't have to disconnect the CD player (or your Sirius or XM if you have one).

20. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 29 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]278979[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet! Thank you!