1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem at first fill up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Amyshubby, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I needed gas for the first time today. I've had my Prius for a week and used to have to fill up twice a week with a car that had an 18 gallon tank, so no complaints there.

I waited until the car went from 2 pips to one, then went to the station. I didn't want to push it because I know some people not used to the digital gauge run out of gas thinking they have longer to go.

Here is the problem- was only able to get 5 gallons into the tank. The pump shut off, and I started it again thinking it shut off in error. Then it shut off again, then a third time.

I know you aren't supposed to top off this car when you fill up, but I had driven 420 miles at 50 miles per gallon, so I knew I should have gotten more gas in. After the third automatice shutoff I stopped and paid, but I only got about a third of a tank according to my digital gauge.

Any idea what went wrong? I know the car should be able to take more gas because it was full when I got it.

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

This has some to do with the gas tank fuel bladder (which is about 3 gallons?) ~ which prevents gasoline vapor from leaving the nozzle while filling up. In warmer weather you will be able to have higher fillups. Right now my fillups are about 5 gallons.

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would liklely say that it was not the car but rather the pump... Often times (at least around nw ohio) the pumps can get air in them and then the keep clicking off, over and over and over sometimes... it is very annoying, I had to pump several gallons one time that way... it took forever, but the gas was cheap so I dealt with it... But my guess would be this happened to you too.. If it happens again, I would just stop pumping, pay, and then switch pumps to funinsh filling up...

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, try another pump. Normally I use the same pump all the time so it's pretty consistant. Remember also that a cooler temp seems to prevent the bladder from stretching as far as well as a newer bladder takes time to stretch.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    sometimes you have to pull the nozzle out of the hole and put it back in. To let some air escape. Also go slow after the click. That helps.