1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem driving surfaces??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rlaurent, Jul 22, 2006.

1. rlaurent

rlaurent New Member

We've had our 2005 Prius since April of last year and really enjoy it. It handles extremely well--except on sand. Since moving to Florida from Wisconsin in 1980 I have purchased a beach driving pass each year and have had no difficulty with our Civics or Odysseys. When we purchased the Prius I thought it would probably handle as good or better than the Hondas. Not so. If the sand is not hard packed the thing seems to get stuck very easily. When your driving along at 10 mph or have to slow down in softer areas the thing spins out and quickly digs in. With the electric motor it's really hard to "feel" the surface or rock the car once it stalls.

I was wondering how it handles in snow. (I haven't had it back up to Wisconsin nor have I had the opportunity to see how it drives on snow and ice) Sure seems super stable on wet roads or in rainstorms.

Of course if anyone has driven their Prius on sand I would also be interested in your thoughts/suggestions.
    For the time being I plan to stay off the beach--at least in the Prius.

RLaurent

2. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i thought ur not suppose 2 do that, but i think it get stuck prob b/c the big amount of torque?

3. ribbs

ribbs New Member

Hey r

I'm from Daytona originally - my pals and I used to hang out for endless hours at the Seaview approach just to watch the snowbirds drive by. We became quite the experts on digging out cars - my favorite though was always the dweebs who would park down by the Main Street Pier and go on walkabout up on the boardwalk - only to return hours later to find their cars doorhandles deep in the incoming tide.

I know, not much help. Front wheel drive cars were always a bit strange on the sand, I seem to remember. But Port Orange brings back serious memories! Say hi to the Halifax for me.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe it's the sand in FL. I've driven on the beach in OR (it's allowed here, DM, since the people own to the high water line) and I haven't had problems. I just drive gently on the soft sand.

The [size] tag goes inside the [font] tag and you have to close them. Click the BB Code Help link under the Clickable Smilies the next time you compose a message to see examples.

5. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Australia is a continent with large sand deserts. We have been taught that if we get bogged in the sand let some air out of your tyres - drop the pressure to about 20 psi. This will give a larger footprint and give more traction.
    Worth a try.
    Take a battery operated compressor with you to re-inflate after leaving the beach.
    Driving on a beach exposes a car to accelerated corrosion from the salt spray. Suggest you wash down when you get home, especially under the car.

6. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlaurent @ Jul 22 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]290319[/snapback]</div>
    also, if the wheels begin to slip, the automatic torque safety will kick in and reduce power to the drive wheels. suggest you stay on hard sand, since stepping on the gas (or electric) won't get you anywhere once the wheels start to slip.

7. rlaurent

rlaurent New Member

Thanks for the responses, thus far. It had occurred to me that the perfect solution to
    driving at slow speeds on loose surfaces such as sand, gravel (as in mountain unpaved
    roads), or snow; would be to be able to override the hybrid system and keep the gas
    motor in operation. There have been a lot of posts about doing the opposite (snstalling
    alternate AV button) but is there a way of keeping the gas engine running is special
    situations?

The idea about reducing the air pressure sounds reasonable as I'm currently running
    at 40 psi and that could be reduced quite a bit temporarily.

Would love to stay on the hard packed sand exclusively, but that's not always an option
    as there are often soft areas (akin to small snow drifts) that come up. And then you
    often have to park in softer areas.

How about you folks driving on snow or unpaved roads. No probems at slow speeds
    when the hybrid is in electric only mode?

Off work--see ya later.

Rlaurent

8. molgrips

molgrips Member

Have you got the traction control or vehicle stability stuff? It seems to be incredibly sensitive; in simpler cars with normal traction control they apply the brakes to the wheels if they detect spin- but you can typically turn it off. The Prius seems to take control of the throttle if you start to spin, so I can see how sand would fool it into not letting you drive at all. Lack of torque would certainly not be the problem!

I've not tried the car in snow, but they have plenty of that in Japan so I'm assuming it can handle it.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 22 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]290485[/snapback]</div>
    EVERY 04+ Prius has Traction Control. You can't get one without it.

Stability Control is the optional part.

10. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

The OE tires are the big problem. Hydroedge of a better tire will work much better. That said I don't like to take mine on the beachside let alone on the beach. I have lived in the Daytona area tooooo long time for a mountain vue. :p

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would go even lower, like 5-10 psi. You want the tire to deform for best traction on sand.

Nate