1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem removing Oil Filter Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DePrius, Jan 1, 2010.

1. DePrius

DePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took my car in for it's second scheduled oil change after hitting 10K (after finding PriusChat I now know the interval is changing to every 10K:)).

At the 5K change, my local Jiffy Lube had no problem, but this time they could not remove the oil filter cover, saying it had melted into the threads. They said mine was not the first problem like this they had seen. On another Prius, it took them an hour to remove the filter cover and it had broken in the process.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sorry about the problem.

I think there is absolutely no way it could have "melted onto the threads". What has happened is who ever changed it the first time cross threaded the cap.

I really strongly recommend staying away from Jiffy Lube type places. Have your oil changed by a dealer, a good independent mechanic, or do it yourself if you can.

3. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think this is nonsense, my read on this is that they somehow broke the cover removing it (did not have the correct size cap wrench?) or, more likely, the last person to remove it did not seat it properly when replacing it and then crossthreaded it upon tightening or just way overtightened it.

This last time, it was destroyed while removing it--they probably used a squeeze type wrench when they could not get it off with the cap wrench.

These things are pretty tough and if installed properly will last a long time. There is nothing around it that would melt it, that's just silly.

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My guess is that they overtightened the filter housing on the first change, then had to deal with their carelessness in the second.

Third-party oil change operations have a long, documented (on-line) history of incompetence and vehicle damage. The stories span many blogs on numerous vehicles. If you can't do the oil changes yourself, find a Toyota dealer or some mechanic you can work with & trust. You'll still have to insist on the right oil (from other entries on this forum).

5. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also: always make them show you the parts; they could have melted it in their half-a&&ed attempt to get it off using a heat gun.

It's time to have a little chat with the manager.

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow,
    I would bet that all of the engine oil seals have a lower or similar melting point as the oil filter cover. So I guess your engine is toast? Naw, they screwed up and want you to pay for it.