1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem starting after refueling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by simonr4, Oct 23, 2005.

1. simonr4

simonr4 Junior Member

I just got my Prius '05 3 weeks ago and after refueling and getting back in the car, nothing happened when I stepped on the Brake pedal and pressed the Power button. I had to insert the key farb into the slot to get the green lights on either side of the slot to light and then the car came on without a problem.

Any Ideas as to what is wrong?

Simon W. Rosenberg, DMD
    DrSimonRosenberg.com -- I was a Hi-Technology Dentist before becoming a Prius Owner

[​IMG]

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Have you tried your second fob?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

just a possibility but have you accidently bumped the SKS button under the steering colum? Did it start normally agian after you shut it down and removed the fob?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you leave the fob in the car while you were fueling? There is a "time out" feature where the sks inside the car will temporarily become disabled if it continuously senses the smart key but the power button is not activated within about 10 minutes.

To reset you can remove the fob from the car, close and lock the door, then reenter the car.

5. simonr4

simonr4 Junior Member

Frank, I don't think I hit the SKS defeat button but I guess it is possible.

Wayne, The second fob was also in my pocket. On the weekends, I have both sets of my keys in my pocket. On weekday, I do insert the fob on one keychain with my other car keys in the slot so that the Manhattan garage attendants can park and then fetch my car at the end of the day. The second fob is on my home/office key chain that I keep with me when I leave my car at the parking garage.

Evan, both fobs were in my pocket while I "pumped" the gas and then went inside to pay for the embarassing small fuel bill. (I'm used to 20 gal or $50-60 lately on my 16.3 MPG Jeep Grand Cherokee or my 15.1 Town & Country minivan)

Thanks for the quick replies (and Evan for all of your great posts on mods and fuel economy that I've been reading)

Simon

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd wonder if the close proximity of the two fobs may have interfered with the operation of the sks. You can, sometimes, get interference also from things such as cell phones that are in close proximity to the fobs.

Finally, did you just have the problem the one time or is it still ongoing...you never said, or I missed it if you did. If it's still ongoing I'm in the "check the sks button under the wheel" group.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is this the Speedpass problem rearing its ugly head? Is it possible the TSB only cures the issue partially? (Way back in early 04)?

What station were you at? Do they use Speedpass?

Nate

8. simonr4

simonr4 Junior Member

Nate, it was Citigo and I had to go into the Minimart and pay at the register -- no speed pass at that station.

Evan, it happened the last 2 times at differant locations, but not at my first fillup. I filled up this time at half a tank due to gas being 20 cents less than in my normal travelling route.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what the little button marked "Key" under the steering wheel does. Isn't it intended to disable smart Key mode and require the fob to be inserted into the key slot?

Simon

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the button under the colum is to disable the SKS system and make the use of the fob in slot the only way to start the car.

10. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

I think Wayne's question about a second fob was probing for a problem with the battery in the fob. The fob would still start the car in the dash slot even if its battery is depleted for SKS operation. Wayne (it appears to me) was asking if you had better luck with the battery operation of a second fob, which you had with you.

I'm just being explicit here (!) because it is possible that both batteries are depleted. No way of knowing, regardless of the age of the car.

11. CHART

CHART Member

A while back (over a year ago) when I had my cell phone in the same pocket as my key fob, the car did refuse to unlock. When I pushed the unlock button and put my key back into the same pocket, the car refused to start. At that point, I was worried that my fob battery might be dying, but when I pulled my keys out, the car started just fine.

Ever since then I carry them in different pockets and I have never had that trouble again.