1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with codes P0138, P043E and etc

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sopo Khajishvili, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Sopo Khajishvili

Sopo Khajishvili New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all. I just have few questions if anybody could consult me. i have bought my prius 2013 here in my country Georgia, it was delivered from USA. Car had damage at the left side but I bought it already fixed. In two days from purchase check engine light came on and it has been a month already and I am still trying to get the answer. It was diagnosed by so many mechanics here in Georgia. I have codes of errors, they are in pending P0138, P0301 and in current P043E, P043F, P0456, P2401, P2402, P2419. (Problem of EVAP). Actually when I have diagnosed it in the centre of Toyota in the moment of buying check engine light was off and all the errors were deleted, I have trusted the seller that nothing was wrong and he has changed some little detail in the cylinder, like spark plug or sth like that, it was my fault that I trusted him but what can I do now? here in my country told me that I have to change a fuel tank! Thanks in advance.

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sopo,
    What these codes are indicating, point toward the EVAPORATOR test cycle pump is either not working or cannot maintain a vacuum in the system due to a leak. It could be as simple as a faulty fuel cap. However, if it has been diagnosed by a competent mechanic, you may have a defective fuel EVAPORATOR component. This would, indeed, require the fuel tank assembly to be replaced. It comes as an assembly, as I understand.
    You might want to contact Toyota USA and see what your option are as far as the CARB warranty is concerned. It may be warrantable.

bisco likes this.
  3. Sopo Khajishvili

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    BZzap! Thank you very much for your response, I am going to repair it tomorrow, actually I am more afraid of the codes P0138 and P0301 which are oxygen sensor circuit high voltage (Bank 1, sensor 2) and cylinder 1 misfire detected, they are in pending condition but I am afraid it will become current anytime. Previously I had cylinder 4 misfire detected, I have changed spark plugs and it has worked, but later in two weeks I have again felt the vibration of car while accelerating and that is the main issue I am concerned about, Fuel tank can be changed here easily and it does not cost me too much, but the problem with cylinder threatens me so much. Could this cylinder 1 misfire problem be connected to the problem of EVAP? or caused from the problems of EVAP? Thank you so much

bisco likes this.
  4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cylinder misfire codes usually (not always) are indicative of a clogged EGR circuit. If the car has higher mileage, this is a common problem. If you search this Priuschat forum you’ll find a lot of discussions about it. The EGR and EVAP codes are most likely not related.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Sopo Khajishvili

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you all for your consult and support, I am going to service tomorrow. I have heard about EGR and also injectors, hope cleaning them will help me resolve my problem.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems that you have done your research. Good luck and please keep us (PriusChat) up to date on your Prius adventure.