1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with Dashboard Volume Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wpavalko, Aug 8, 2008.

1. wpavalko

wpavalko New Member

Anyone ever have a problem with the dashboard volume control (knob near the radio power button)? Recently, it's stopped working intermittently. When it's not working, you can turn it and nothing happens. Control on the steering wheel always works.

2. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes...there are at least a few other threads on this topic. It's appears to be showing up more and more. I have the problem--it seems to be connected with the higher temperatures. I think Toyota is going to have a warranty nightmare on their hands here...

- Doug

3. Harod

Harod New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too have experienced this phenomenon. I have had my prius for only a week and a half and the volume control will not work when I start the car but only in FM. When I switch to AM everything is fine. Then I shut the power off to the car and turn it back on again and my FM volume control works. It started a few days after I bought the car then went away for a week now it's back. I don't know if this is exactly the same as what you're experiencing but maybe they are related. First thing Monday morning I'm calling Toyota to see what they can do. Because it's intermittent it makes it that much more frustrating because of course it won't do it when I bring it in.:mad:

Later

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yep, count me in for the same problem. Unfortunately, I am long off warranty.

In my case, occasionally the volume knob will not work, when I try to turn it up or down, it simply flips back & forth between two volume numbers (7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8, etc...) and the level doesn't change. Usually, pushing the knob in & out once or twice fixes the problem, for a while anyway.

A few other times, the volume level phantomly (is that a word?) starts changing by itself.

This has been happening maybe once a week or so for the past couple months, it could be related to heat or humidity patterns...?

Of course, it is intermittent, so proving it to the dealer would be very difficult, and I know their only solution would be to replace the entire head unit for some ridiculous amount of money.:eek:

5. Harod

Harod New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fortunately my car is only a couple weeks old and still under warranty but you're right it''s frustrating when you encounter an intermittent problem because it almost never happens for the dealer. I decided over the weekend out of frustariton to keep my video camera in the car with me and take it out whenever I start the car (this is always the time when my FM part of the radio decides to not work). Sure enough after my wife came home from work sunday I got in the car and after cycling the main power a few times the FM failed to come. I got it all on tape and what I did to try to get it to come on. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow and armed with my evidence I don't see how they could not act even if it doesn't do it for them.:D Later.