1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with energy display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ray Moore, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have an intermittent anomoly with my energy dislay. Sometimes when I show to be in electric only mode, I also show mpgs in the 30 to 60 range. This indicates that the engine is running but is not indicated on the display. Anyone else?

I also find it difficult to coax it into EV sometimes even at low speeds and moderately high SOCs. I'm wondering if this is a battery temperature issue but see no reason think this would be the case based on conditions at the time of occurence. No matter how gently I feather the throttle, I get the engine. 70 degree weather, warm engine, no extremes of any kind that I can think of.

Thanks in advance,
    Ray

2. smoore

smoore New Member

This may or may not be related, but I start out every trip into town on a downhill run, about 1/3 mile -- so it's a coast. In the morning, even though the engine is not running (at least it doesn't show up on the display) at all during the coast, my MPG reading shows anything from 40 - 70 MPG during this period. I would expect it to show the lovely 99.9 MPG like it does later in the day. Any relationship?

Steve (not related to Ray) Moore

3. WirelessToy

WirelessToy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most likely when you initially start, the engine is going through it's cold start-up cycle in order to get the catalyst hot enough to fire up. During that cycle even if you are going downgrade and the display shows ICE off, the engine is really running hence the 30-70 MPG indication. It's unlikely you have a defective display, it is just the way it is programmed to show energy distribution based on road requirements, but independent of cold start up cycle.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    These problems occur even after I've been on the road for 45 minutes at 70 degree temperatures.
    Ray

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine did this for a bit this morning on the way to work. My guess is that the car's computer has found a reason to run the engine, and is doing so to satisfy that condition.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

check and make sure the heater isn't in Auto mode. If the A/C has been running,even though it's an electric driven compressor it's enough to pull the BSOC down to where the computer say's " charge me " and does.