1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with keyless

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bernie S, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Bernie S

Bernie S New Member

Yesterday, I could activate the car ignition but I could not put the car in D or R. It worked from P to N and back to P.
    I tried a couple of times but no, then I put the "key" in the slot in the dash and then I could drive and reverse.
    But today the keyless system works again. :unsure:
    battery in the "key" baybe weak ?

I also have a rattling noice when I turn sharp.
    Any ideas ?

My 04 has 102000 km ( 63750 miles ) on the odo.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The fob battery is a common electronics battery, easy to find and fairly easy to replace if you can find a #0 philips screwdriver. If you haven't ever replaced the battery in the fob, do so and see if that fixes the problem.

A rattle on a sharp turn could be anything. If you hear a clicking sound from a front axel, that could be more serious and be a failing universal joint which a mechanic could fix.

Welcome to PriusChat!

3. Bernie S

Bernie S New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jun 8 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]457915[/snapback]</div>

Thank you Bill.
    OK I will see if the problem comes back, and if it does then change the battery and if it solves it.

Yes it is a clicking sound from the front, can I check this joints somehow ?, maybe lift the wheel up with the jack and roll back and forth and listen if I can hear a glitch ?
    Its not a big problem now, it is silent when I drive strait and normal curves.
    /Berne

4. josemedina

josemedina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bernie S @ Jun 8 2007, 05:18 AM) [snapback]457918[/snapback]</div>
    When you find the screw for the remote key fob let us all know. I do not see it unless it is under the Toyota logo.

Thanks!

5. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josemedina @ Sep 17 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]513706[/snapback]</div>
    Link to instructions for replacing the fob battery --> http://www.vfaq.net/mods/keyfob.html

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josemedina @ Sep 17 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]513706[/snapback]</div>
    Slide the little latch lever to remove the door key. Now hold your fob so that you thumb is on the side with the logo. Slide the little latch lever over (the one that you used to remove the door key), and while the latch lever is pressed all the way over, use your thumb to slide the whole back off of the fob, latch lever and all. There's a little ridge on the logo side up near the latch lever that makes it a little easier to slide the cover off with your thumb. Under the cover you just removed, you will find the screws for the battery compartment.

The instructions for this are also in you user manual.