1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with passenger airbag

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Barcelona Red Lass, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok, have a little problem with the front passenger airbag.

Hubby was sitting in the passenger seat last night while I was driving. He twisted around the get something in the backseat and somehow managed to mess up the passenger airbag sensor.

Now it says "off" all the time and there's the red warning airbag light on in the dash.

What did we mess up and how do we fix it?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You fix it by taking it to a dealer. Air bags are not DIY items.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you sure it won't reset if you shutdown completely and then go to "Ready"?

My dog always trips the sensor and warning beep when she goes from the back seat (where she is supposed to ride) to the front seat (where she is discouraged from riding). The indicator will turn red and flash while she is in the seat, but always resets itself.

4. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, tried that and still have the problem. I figured when he reached into the backseat he triggered something with his foot, but I cannot see a lever or button up under the dash. It's going in for service in the next couple of weeks anyway, I guess I'll ask them to reset the sensors or whatever it is that they do.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and assistance.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seriously hope that you don't need that airbag between now and when the car is scheduled for "service in the next couple of weeks..."

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What he did probably was break the sensor in the seat when he turned around and probably put too much force on a specific point.

Take the car to the dealer IMMEDIATELY. If that airbag light is on, the passenger airbag will not inflate in the event of an accident. I would just play dmb and say it just stopped working and see if they'll cover it under warranty.

I personally could not live with myself if a passenger was hurt or killed in an accident in my car because I couldn't get it to the dealer in time. I wouldn't let anyone ride in that seat until its fixed.