1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

problem with pc

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by aladavlis, Dec 16, 2006.

1. aladavlis

aladavlis New Member

Hello,
    I am having trouble with my Internet explorer.It is doing some very odd things.Sometimes it will completely close the page i am visiting for no reason or it will be very slow loading pages and when i say slow i mean very very very slow for eg i tried to google something and after 10 minutes of the page trying to load i gave up.I thought that it was perhaps the topic i was searching so i tried putting in random things to see if that made any difference but it didn't.Another problem i had was when i was on a forum and clicked on a link and nothing happened i tried to open a new tab and that wouldn't work either and it would let me access any options that are in my tools menu.i had to restart my computer.Just to let you know i have high speed Internet connection.Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me with this problem.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :unsure: I don't think PriusChat is a good forum in which to expect help on Internet Explorer... You apparently need computer software support.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a bot. a quick google search shows this was posted many times. Dont know why a bot would do this without spam attached. Maybe its a bot thet test the security of the site?

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Dec 16 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]363210[/snapback]</div>
    That's interesting, but what is the point of the post? To see if it can be done? A technology test for later more insidious postings?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like this...second post of this sort on PC today... I'm suspending that screen name too, but I hope someone can figure out what the 'gig' is before we get in trouble.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    both of these bot posts have the same IP addy: 209.160.64.38 That's now been blocked and both 'members' suspended here at PC.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought it was necessary to actually read some sort of non-machine-readable key and type it in to register a user name. Is it possible someone is testing a crack of that process, in preparation for launching into the wild a bot that could post spam on chat boards? Or is an actual person setting up the user names, and then allowing the bot to post? If so, that sounds pretty inefficient.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I don't like it. Like Evan said: twice in one day.

I also get the feeling that this is a test to see if bots can join and post. If they can, we could see a bot-attack on a big scale. That is to say, a machine (or perhaps even a distributed attack) could create numerous new members, each of which could create numerous new posts.

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That IP is in Washington DC. A DHS/Gov probe? This is FHOP after all... :wacko:

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I loved the Excite screen saver a few years ago that pinged known spammer sites. It was pulled because it was too successful.

I'm not that concerned with spammer's rights - they operate outside of the law.