1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem With Repair Shop

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, May 25, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So my wife had her power window motor go out the other day and just got it repaired a couple of days ago. The window works now, but after the repair, the airbag light came on.

I feel there's a high probability that the new problem is related to the repair, but after she took it to the shop, they said it was completely unrelated and was probably do to an accident that caused a dent near her back bumper. It couldn't be related, they claim, because the wiring for the window motor and the airbag weren't in the same place.

The problem is that the fender bender they want to blame it on happened about 6 months ago, and the light has never turned on until the recent repair.

Naturally, I'm a little apprehensive, and I am wondering if any of you have advice on how to handle the situation. Is there an objective third party we can contact to give an opinion on the situation? Any other ideas?

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely they are correct. Power window motor replacements and switches are in the door. i suppose there could be a sensor somewhere in the door area if it is a side airbag but otherwise I don't know how they could have bothered anything. Airbags usually throw a code if they are not properly working or a sensor has been tripped. Sometimes a six month old fender tap can cause a little leak that screws up a sensor months later.

You should do a seach and find the code sequence to clear error codes for your make/model and see if it comes back.

The other possibility is they disconnected the battery to replace the power window motor and when they reconnected things the code just came on (perhaps it didn't show before due to a malfunction and unplugging the battery simply "fixed" a problem that existed earlier (not their fault) but now you know about it...

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    coincidences happen more often than you'd think, but you do want to be sure that it isn't possible for this to be their mistake. what make/model is the car in question?

4. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 25 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]450128[/snapback]</div>
    It's a 2000 Honda Accord. I actually called a car dealership to see what they thought of the situation, and they're with you guys: the problem is probably NOT related.

Bummer for us, but it sounds like the repair shop is right.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dang. yeah, these things happen on occasion. bad timing, but not related problems. happened to DH twice this year that i can think of... as the mechanic, not the owner.

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh- there's a point. might want to get the code checked on that. is it a 2 door or 4 door? does it have side airbags at all?

8. ozyran

ozyran New Member

After reading this:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 28 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]451170[/snapback]</div> I have to ask: was it a reputable shop that the car was repaired at?

9. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The shop won some reader's choice awards and my wife says she heard that some of their mechanics host a radio talk show about cars, so I doubt they're the kind of sleazeoids who would steal an airbag.