1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with steering column recall fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pblaidig, Jun 30, 2006.

1. pblaidig

pblaidig New Member

Last week I had the steering column recall work done. Ever since, the steering column rumbles and has something shaking around inside it when you go slow, turn corners, and go over any uneven pavement. Did this happen to anyone else? I am worrying that the dealer is going to say "it didn't happen when I drove it." Does anyone know how I should talk to them in a more technologically accurate way on Monday? Thanks.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it were me, I'd take it back to the service shop real soon. If they didn't get something tightened or put back together correctly, it could spell major trouble.

Just say it the same way you said it here - make them drive it with you in the passenger seat. Have them drive over uneven pavement, etc. and describe what it felt like when you drove over it.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what it comes down to is that you, the customer, notice a difference in YOUR car. you're the one who knows what it was like before, and you know that it's different after. who cares what the guy who drive your car for 500 feet says. they are obligated to look into your concern, period.

key thing here: take the tech out on a drive to point out exactly what you mean, this will help with determining the fix.

4. pblaidig

pblaidig New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pblaidig @ Jun 30 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]279490[/snapback]</div>
    I made an appointment for Monday, but I am hoping to avoid the dealer nothing's wrong with it syndrome. My husband and I have both driven and had the same problem.

5. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pblaidig @ Jun 30 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]279502[/snapback]</div>
    Drive around over the weekend and find a spot close to the dealer where this happens when you make the corner, etc. If you live 30 miles away, and it only happens on your driveway, the tech won't go for the ride. But if you offer to let them hear/feel it whan you say "drive up two blocks to 7th street and turn left onto Main Street" (since you have already scoped out the place and it rumbles there) they will go with you on the 5 minute drive.

6. Prakash

Prakash New Member

After they performed that particular recall campaign on my HV the alignment or balance went significantly off. Veers to the left when braking... But still glad I got the recall done with, didn't notice any shaking within..

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have them check the rubber boot that clicks into the firewall on the rack and pinion side... that could be the culprit.

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pblaidig @ Jun 30 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]279490[/snapback]</div>
    I have a similar problem. I had the recall done Monday, and immediately noticed a noise that happens when I hit bumps, etc. I wouldn't call it a rumbling, more like a plastic rattle. It only happens at certain speeds, angles, etc., so I dread taking it back in. Could be coming from area of steering column, or up under dash; it's hard to tell.

I also noticed that if I am at a stop, and rotate the steering wheel back and forth, I hear a little noise, like a soft click or something, right at top dead center. Would love to know if anyone hears that, as I'm not sure whether that is new, post-service, or maybe has done that all along.

rob