1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with tires (30K miles service)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zak.kapoor, Nov 19, 2010.

1. zak.kapoor

zak.kapoor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2008 Prius with touring package. The car is running fine and gives great mileage. Both my wife and I are cautious drivers. We have not had any accidents or run into curbs.

I recently took it for the 30K miles service. The dealer told me that the car was in great shape other than the tires. He told us that two of the tires (LF and RR) had bubbles on the sidewalls and if we did not change them immediately we were putting our lives at risk :eek:. He was generous enough to offer a quote for replacement tiles: $750. This includes wheel balancing.

I am not a car whiz but not a dummy either. I have a good idea of what a bubble on the sidewall would look like, even a small one. I have thoroughly inspected all 4 tires (outside sidewall only) and did not see any signs of a bubble.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with tires? The tread on the tyres is in good shape according to the dealer and would last another 15K miles. I am planning to take the care to a tire store to get a second opinion.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is going on with all these rip off's? be careful out there people, must be their way of trying to make a buck in a bad economy. $750.?
    he should be prosecuted for grand theft!:rockon: whereever you take it, don't mention the bubbles, just ask them how many miles they think are left on the tires. should be interesting.:rolleyes:

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would take it to a tire dealer and get them to do a check. Don't tell them what the Toyota dealer said. I do note that you checked 1/2 of the tires (outside only) so you DO need a second opinion. Also the touring package uses a almost unique tire size. It's best to upgrade to a 205 width and save some money.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most tires have high spots on them, especially when we press them a little high for FE! I would go to a reputable tire store and have them check your tires. If they are Goodyear then go to a Goodyear store. If they are bad there could be warranty? H

5. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    as said above take it to whatever manuf the tire is. Goodyear, Goodyear. I had an honest bulge in mine. Usually they prorate. I argued and got the tire for free. I did some other business with them because of the good deal.

6. zak.kapoor

zak.kapoor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

I took the car to a local tire shop: Les Schwab. They checked the tires thoroughly and did not find any bubbles. There was a nail in one of the tires and that was all. I still cant believe the dealer sent me home with a nail in the tire. He did not even give me the option of fixing the flat. Les Schwab fixed it for free and even offered to rotate my tires for free.

Guess where I will be getting my next set of tires?

7. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now, that is service!!! H

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please tell us who the dealer is so others can avoid those crooks. Dealers like that is what gives car dealers in general a bad name.

1 person likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok this dealer has proved to you without a shadow of a doubt there total rip off artists. They did you a big favor. Now you know.
    Some are ok some are like this. You found out in a good time when you really didn't need them.

But they really tried to rip you hard. I would immed send a letter and email to Toyota documenting this entire event. Toy dealers live and die by customer satisfaction or unsatisfaction. I would be pissed.

1 person likes this.