1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with Yakima roof rack on Gen III Prius..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Metroplex88, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Metroplex88

Metroplex88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here so I though I'd ask for some help with problem I am having with my Yakima Q tower roof rack. I have the rack installed properly with the correct measurements but the problem I am having is with the lock cores. Actually, I don't think the problem is with the lock cores but more the Q towers.

When insert the core and attempt to turn the key to lock it, it will not turn upright all the way. I can actually see what the problem is but do not know how to correct it. The metal latch the turns with the key is hitting the black plastic housing in the Q tower preventing it from going fully upright. Almost as if the lock cores and the Q towers are not aligned. It's really hard to explain it when you can't see what I am talking about.

Of the 4 Q towers that I have, I can only lock one of them. Hopefully, someone here on this forum has the same rack and has run into the same problem and found a way to fix it.

I read one some other forum that this may be a production flaw with the Q tower. If that is the case, I will exchange them for 3 new ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

2. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed my Yakima rack from my previous car (Civic) onto my Prius III, had no problems aside from the required upgrade from 48" to 56" bars and then new Q-clips. My locks turn with ease and didn't have to fuss with it.

Possibly product defect?