1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problematic 12V-powered Accessory?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aaroncv3, Jul 2, 2016.

1. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,

Recently I had a warning light accompanied by the ICE shutting down. P0121. As the repair, the throttle body was cleaned.

A week or two later, while in Park with the parking brake engaged, I got another warning light along with some text on the display, something about parking brake. I didn't completely absorb the message before powering off, waiting, then powering on. No more warning light.

Both times I was charging my new phone with a new Qualcomm-certified, Aukey Quick Charge 3.0 charger from Amazon.

I read somewhere on PC that 12V battery problems cause random errors. Any chance that a wild 12V accessory could have a similar effect?

Best,
    aaroncv3

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been reports of obd devices causing problems. maybe try running without it for awhile and see what happens. can you charge from the 12v acc?

3. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only seen the warning light since getting the QC 3.0 phone charger, phone plugged in. never happened while using my old charger and old phone. I still have my road-trip coming up... I will likely use the old charger, possibly even the old phone. (im getting poor battery life on my new phone (but that's an issue for another forum)... old phone still has long batt life)

The QC 3.0 charger can pump 12V into the phone. i recall reading that QC 3.0 will even use 24V source...

#3 aaroncv3, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the quick-charger has been plugged in to the accessory outlet in the center cubby.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess you'll have to go back to regular charging.

6. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two warning light events only while charging, and not consistently on every hook-up, is hardly scientific. So far, it's just a hunch.

Still, at least some panic sets in when the warning does light up. Not the kind of game I want to play on my California trip. I'll use the old charger.

I've been reading up on OBD II scanners. One PC member recommended an ELM327, but a MiniVCI seems to offer more/better data, according to another thread.

An upcoming concern is the HV battery. It's losing the oomph of a new Prius and average economy just went below 40MPG. What am I up against? A bad cell? many bad cells? a bad 12V? I think a scanner will pay for itself in short order.

BTW, I'm not sure the 12V has ever been replaced in my '06. Thoughts?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you plan on keeping it and doing your own maintenance, mini vci is a must. otherwise the other devices will let you monitor things, but not see enough detail for repairs.

how many miles on her?

8. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    almost 163K.

I love Priuses; I love my Prius. MiniVCI seems to be the way to go. I want to tackle repairing/replacing the HV battery on my own, when appropriate, after my move. I simply don't have the time, space, or resources to do it until after this month, though.