1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems after 12 volt replacement

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Race Bannon, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Race Bannon

Race Bannon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If II got tricked into buying a 2012 Prius five that was originally used as a taxi. It has almost 400,000 miles. Now it appears I'm stuck with a maintenance nightmare. I started by replacing the 12-volt battery because it wouldn't start regularly and the battery was only registering 9 volts. Now that I've replaced with a new 12-volt battery I've noticed some differences the driver mode buttons won't do anything and the main display won't show any arrows on the energy screen no animation at all. I did check the temperature sensor on the battery bracket using an ohmmeter and it is working properly and plugged in. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to try next?

#1 Race Bannon, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Return it?

3. Race Bannon

Race Bannon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That was my first thought but it was purchased in a private sale and the seller wont communicate. So im stuck with it and need to fix it.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    GET RID OF IT.
    Don't throw good money after bad.
    Seriously, you are not "stuck with it".

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If they sold this with an altered mileage get your money back. The head unit may be the least of your problems. The only way I would keep it is if it was a screaming deal (<$3500), everything worked and they could show me the engine and hv battery had been replaced in the last 50k miles.

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. Race Bannon

Race Bannon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I appreciate all the sideboard lawyers but we have the car we're keeping the car all I'm interested in is an answer to my question anybody else is just fanning the flames thanks but no thanks

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the new battery measuring with the car off, and then after the headlights have been on for 5 minutes?

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Try starting with a complete rundown.

Does it start and drive properly?

Are there any warning lights and codes?

Does it have the advanced technology package that was an option on a v5?

Did the head unit issues just show up and were not there when you got it?

How were you tricked? You may not need a lawyer if it was fraud.

If the head unit is it then you can get a used one off of ebay, although the v5 trim had a a couple of options. Knowing what you have and what else may be wrong is key to free help.

Attached Files:

Tim Jones likes this.
  9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do try not to be a total moron here.
    IF you didn't want any discussion of how and why you got the car.......or any honest opinions on what you should do next......
    you should NOT have mentioned those details.
    YOU threw the bait in the water and the fish are biting.
    Is this your first day on the Internet ??

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This doesn't have to be a break-the-bank problem. It sounds like some things are not communicating with some other things on the car's network. There can be complicated expensive reasons but there can also be simple cheap or free reasons and those tend to be more common. Get access to the repair manual (more info) and start working through the troubleshooting steps in the Networking section. They've got charts on where to start looking based on what you can observe on what is and isn't talking to what.

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ask Dr. Quest

12. Race Bannon

Race Bannon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It starts now, after new 12v battery, and drives normally. There are no error codes or trouble lights. It appears to be the most basic head unit. I did see the lights for drive modes show on the upper dash display when i pressed the buttons, but they were sticking down due to spilt drinks. I disassembled the switch and cleaned it so that it moves freely. After reassembly i checked the switches with a meter to ensure they were still working. Now when i push the mode buttons i see nothing change on the dash. I did not see the energy display work before changing the battery but after reseraching battery changes i saw many issues with battery temp sensor. I tested the sensor with a meter using heat and it works as it should.

The man sold us the car saying it had 115000 miles which is what the title showed. There is a small c on the title that means it is not true milage. I had never seen that code and didnt know to look for it. A carmax repprt showed 306000 miles then 89000 and now reads 115000.

Thanks i will look for that.

The one good thing is that the hybrid battery was replaced 2 months ago

#12 Race Bannon, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2021
  13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What you describe is outright odometer fraud. Sue the b******.

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it drives well and it has no warning lights that is a very positive sign. Almost any hybrid related problem will generate codes. A dealer scan would be my first step although some codes are available with phone apps like Dr Prius and a bluetooth reader. Normal readers typically won't read hybrid codes.

The standard 57011 display is widely available on ebay. It does have navigation and there is an accessory module hanging on the bottom.

But it sounds like you need to resolve the mode buttons first. I would guess they are broken now even though they move freely. Most likely you could get a set of buttons at a salvage yard or the online salvage yard known as ebay.

I would not change the display for the energy screen alone. Usually when they fail, it can't pick up stations, it boots frequently or the nav does not work.

https://bit.ly/ObdTwo

#14 rjparker, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Tim Jones likes this.
  15. Race Bannon

Race Bannon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ours does not have navigation. I would guess id need to add other parts to enable it not just change the screen? I will look for replacement buttons. Thanks.

16. Race Bannon

Race Bannon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Believe me I would love to, but im told that the title having the code that shows "not accurate milage" covers him and we should have done our due diligence. I feel stupid enough, but hopefully it won't be super costly mistake.

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All trim 3 and 5 Prius v's had navigation. Trim 2 did not. You press APPS and then MAP. You can look at the trim differences in my attachment above. For example trim 5 had LED headlights and "Integrated Fog Lights".

A piece of the above trim pdf is shown here.

98A30F3A-4BC1-41EF-8269-7678670CA146.jpeg

#17 rjparker, Nov 17, 2021
    Tim Jones likes this.
  18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Depends on when the title was made available to you to see —before or after the seller’s verbal representation and receipt of consideration.

19. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How do you know the traction battery was replaced? New? Used? Refurbished? Nothing works like a NEW BATTERY Pack....! Not from Green Bean or some other Scam Company.

#19 Tim Jones, Nov 17, 2021