1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems after light accident

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Razvan, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Razvan

Razvan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a week ago i had a small accident jumping on a sidewalk and hitting a road railing protection but in a way that i ricoched of off it meaning i didnt just get stuck in what i hit. I have exchanged the suspension arm and ball joint but the car takes more fuel and there is a slight oil leak from underneath the gearbox. Is this sign of something really serious/expensive or can it be something minor like a gasket or a small crack? The car drives ok but the engine is slightly louder when it kicks in under acceleration but just when it comes on, after that its not noisier than before. I dont know if its worth repairing or just get another car. Any advice welcomed

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If gearbox is leaking that’s a trans replacement. No gasket can be replaced with out removal. And if it’s leaking you will never know exactly how low the oil is in the trans. It’s obviously damaged you can’t put it upon jack stands and get under There and see?

3. Razvan

Razvan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i havent got any jacks or any other way to get under the car, and with this time of the year no garages are open. Last night i put a piece of cardboard under the gearbox to see exactly how badly is leaking and in the morning there wasn't even a drop of oil on the cardboard so i think it shoul be ok untill mechanics reopen

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    slight oil leak to no oil leak. Lucky.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't tell from your description if you have a serious problem or not. If there is a leak from the transmission then it's possible that all the fluid has already leaked out. If so then you will damage the trans fairly quickly. Without an inspection of the underchassis then all you/we can do is guess.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.