1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems after repairing HV battery - no error code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HAL9000v2.0, Aug 22, 2015.

1. HAL9000v2.0

HAL9000v2.0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everybody,
    As this is my first post after few years learning from this forum must say to you all, thanks for a great help I found here.
    I got a problem that i couldn't find any solution after three days of searching.
    I got Prius gen 2 2005 with 205000km (cca130000mi) few years ago. It run without any problems until last summer. I left the car under the sun. When I started the car the temperature was 44°C and few miles later on the highway I got red triangle and HV fault code. I have replaced two cells and all works fine. This summer again after one day on blazing sun I got same error and replaced another cell. When I turned a car on I got error P3030 ( HV ecu fault) As i got installed Torque software and bluetooth OBD adapter I was able to see that battery block 1 have bad reading, The gauge was jumping from 0 to 15V and back. I checked the instalation and all seams ok. So i have replaced the HV ecu as I assumed I burned it. But the error P3030 repeats. Then I inpected all once more and found out the wire on cell block 1 is broken but it was the same wire where the thick wire came out and I cant see it the first time. After I have repaired the wire the reading on Torque is fine, I erased the errors from the ECU and red triangle with all other light turn back on again, but this time there is no error I can see with Torque. Now when I turn the car on red triangle and all orange warning lights lits, I can shift only in N and engage P. I can not turn of the car when I hold the brake. When I reset all fault codes the red triangle switches off for a second and turn back on. I checked the 12V battery and it is fine. All 12v things also work fine, lights, power windows, wipers. As I have spare battery pack I tried two different HV ECU on the car. Is it possible that there is a some master Ecu that needs reprograming after instalation of different hardwere? It seems to me as the car entered some block or service mode? I will appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

Zvonimir

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Did you check the orange traction battery interlock switch? After you pivot the lever 90 degrees, you need to slide the lever down to lock in place.
    2. If that doesn't help, get Mini VCI so you can retrieve the DTC.
    3. No reprogramming necessary.

3. HAL9000v2.0

HAL9000v2.0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Partick, Thanks for the answer,
    I have checked the plug an it is fine. I measured voltage between two exit relays on the pack and it reads 215V so I guess this is fine too.
    I wil try to get some other VCI next week.
    I have Torque PRO and it works fine. But now shows no errors. Are there some errors that I can't read with Torque ?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently your car has some fault since it does not start - and that fault probably has resulted in at least one ECU logging a DTC. Mini VCI, being pirated Toyota Techstream, is going to be the best tool available to you to retrieve any logged DTC.