1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems Filling Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rerstad, Sep 13, 2004.

1. rerstad

rerstad New Member

While on my maiden drive home from the dealer (1580 miles!). Twice I ran into gas pumps that would not pump gas into the Prius normally. The pump's auto shut off kicked in immediately and I had to hold the pump, just barely squeezing it, to get it to pump any gas at all. It took forwever to fill the tank, and then I wasn't sure exactly how full it was. One other time the pump seemed to work OK, but I think it cut off too soon and I was left without a full tank. Does this happen often? Any way to get the pump to work?

Thanks.

(BTW--I got 48.6 MPG on my inaugural run, cruising at 70 from mid-Washington to Missoula, MT, even in the mountains. The cruise held the speed without a problem, even going over the passes. The next day, I got 44.6 cruising at 78 across the rest of Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota--even with a headwind in North Dakota.)

2. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

What you're describing has occasionally happened in the Prius... and the A-4... and the 9-5...
    It's the gas station; sometimes their tanks are low and that yields a low pressure--- meaning it fills up slowly... I'm not 100% that's what it is, but that always goes away if I move over to the next pump :)
    Enjoy your new Prius! I'm sure you're going to have a ball with it!

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since you live the same place I do, you will most likely not ever encounter that problem locally.

Certain vendors in certain locations seem to trigger the issue. I have always went to Holiday to buy BLUE PLANET gas (since it's low sulfur) and haven't ever had a lick of trouble. So I recommend the same for you.

Congrats on the new Prius.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had it happen once, at one station, while on a road trip. My tank was at half-full (it just happened to be a convenient place to fill up). I tried 3 different pumps at the same station and all wanted to click off immediately.

5. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

Chevron Stations here in CA suck! They uses ECONOFLOW nozzles. Literally that’s their name :pukeleft:

I only have a Chevron gas card so that’s normally the only place I go. And about 1 out of 5 times the Econoflow nozzles don't shut off. They just keep going, spraying gas everywhere. All over the car and pump. :roll:

Not only is it dangerous but more importantly, it cost a lot!

6. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Folks,

I always set the handle to fill at the slowest setting. Once in 5k miles I have had it overflow. I have never had the problem of not getting the tank full. I usually shut-off at just under ten gallons.

Have a Golden day,
    Tom & Da Boyz

PS What happened to the spell checker?

TCD