1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems uploading pics for avatar or "profile"?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by ghostofjk, Apr 28, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I've just communicated with a mod, who suggested I post this thread.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures to TWO of the THREE places where we're supposed to be able to upload (1. avatar; 2. personal (profile) pic; 3. Album). I've been successful only in uploading pics to the Album.

Anyone else frustrated by this? If so, please speak up here. There are lots of new members, and I see quite a few avatar-less posts.

Others, who may know simple things to do to accomplish the uploading, please lend us your wisdom.

Since the instructions for doing these things are sorely lacking, I'm also going to ask that someone post a "sticky" outlining instructions at the top of this forum when we're done.

I'm going to explain the problem(s) I've run into in perhaps too much detail, since I know there are lots of other folks who, like me, are pretty clueless in these kinds of things. Also, someone can chime in and say, "well, after you do X, did you remember to do Y"?

1. Avatar

A) When you go into "My Controls" and click on your avatar settings, one of your options is to choose an existing pic from the HUGE base gallery of avatars. I've been able to use an existing pic successfully. But HOW DO YOU UPLOAD A PIC TO THAT GALLERY?

B) If you try to upload an avatar pic from a file on your computer, it tells you you're limited to 50 kB. There's a box at the bottom of the avatar apparatus that says, "Image Scale On", and says it will scale down your pic so that it can be uploaded. (Side note: since there seems to be no alternative to "Image Scale On", it must ALWAYS be "on", huh?, as opposed to someone having to activate it.) But it won't scale down any pics I've tried to use WHY? Will it scale down only pics under a certain number of kB, or pixels?

Do you have to post your pic in some application outside of PC, cut it down to size, THEN upload it?

2. Personal picture

Not too many members seem to post pics on their "profile" page, so this may not concern many people.

When I tried to upload the same pic here, it simply stalled and gave me an error message, reading "Upload failed. Contact staff for help..." The instruction says this pic can be as large as 1500 kB. Mine was 700. WHO CAN HELP WITH THIS ONE?

I'll stop there and see what the response is.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 28 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]246481[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent idea.
    Yes, the scaler is referring to image pixels, not file size. You have to provide the system with an image of smaller than 50kb and it will resize it for you if needed.
    That could be the image's dimensions, but I'm not sure. What was the WxH dimensions on the picture you were trying to upload?

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 27 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]246487[/snapback]</div>
    I don't even know how to answer that, since a print has never been made of it. I connect my digital camera to the computer and the software that came with the camera uploads images from the camera to files. When I look at the "properties" of the picture, it tells me how many kB. How do I also know what "size" it is?

Do you mean some "default" size, if a print WERE made of it, like 3" X 4"?

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It will normally give you a number like 800x600 or something similar.

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 27 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]246494[/snapback]</div>
    OK, it says 2048 X 1536 (Dimensions)
    Size: 703 kB

6. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Well, screw it. teddy b says on another thread he doesn't know how to upload pics onto a post, which is another question I had. But no action on this one, so I give up.

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Downloaded Picasa, fooling around with it, got a couple pics cropped and uploaded.

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't had any problems with the avatar, but then I had already sized my images to the recommended 100x150 pixels, so I knew what it would look like and whatever software the forum uses wouldn't be doing the decimating. BTW, I use GraphicConverter on my Mac, does a fine job for $40. (Nagware, so you don't hafta pay for it at all if you don't want to).

Haven't tried uploading pictures to the other locations yet.

nerfer

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not planning to change my avatar now, but just before the big change here I tried and couldn't. I could remove it and upload a new avatar, but when it arrived, it changed to my old avatar. Unfortunately it was the dimensions of my new avatar so it looked strange. :blink:

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried too but got a very wacked out version of my current avatar even though it let me use the browser and pick out a new pic. Apparently squid is good at it as he changes his avatar more often than some folks change their......

11. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Apr 28 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]247075[/snapback]</div>

= no life.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HOLY CRAP!! COnsidering that I keep my monitor at 1024x768, you were trying to upload an image twice the size of my monitor. The "ding ding ding" sound is going off. I think we found the problem: compare the upload specification of "150x100" to your "2048x1538".

I just checked your profile. While that is a very nice picture of a really cute kitten, it might still be a little large. You can get to your own personal profile by clicking your own name either to the left of a post or in the top-left of the window where it says you're logged in.

I normally take my graphic software and save multiple resolutions of the same picture to see which one comes out best. Often, ~100x100 and ~150x150. If the image loses its quality at that size, I figure it's not worth it.

What I've done is download the picture and resized it into two different resolutions. One is 30% the original and the other is 75% of the 30%. I think the picture held up pretty well. On this computer, the only graphics software I have is - sadly - Paintbrush. If you have something better, you might want to do it yourself.

If you're using a Windows computer, you can right-click on the images below and select "Save Image As..." I hope that helps.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 29 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]247068[/snapback]</div>
    I have found that also. I'm not sure what's causing that. I ended up putting my avatar up on my personal webpage and using the "web reference". Perhaps the PC software is keeping a copy of your avatar and not lettin go when you change it. I suppose that by using the "web reference," PC is not storing anything and it's more seemless.

I'm just guessing.

You could try something like:
    1. delete your current avatar.
    2. log completely out of Priuschat.
    3. close your browser.
    4. open browser.
    5. log in.
    6. change your avatar.

Oh how i do love debugging and system testing. :blink:

14. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Between the 27th, when I first posted, and the 28th, as indicated above, I fooled around with Picasa (free from Google). I simply cropped both the pic that's now my avatar and the kitten's pic. Both were then uploaded by PC---even though the avatar pic is 73 mB instead of 50!

The 2048 x 1536 is what was on the original Canon image.