1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

problems when order 303 protectant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Feb 28, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried to order some 303 Protectant. See following web site:

www.303products.com/main.php

I tried to order from this site, but I cancelled because they seemed most unusual in the way the practiced. The asked me via email for my last 3 numbers on my credit card.
    They also provided a # to call them and when I did they wanted me to tell them the number before they would complete the order.

They say it is illegal to ask for it on thier secure website when ordering..... I told them I have recently ordered many things that have asked for it on thier secure website and what makes them so different?

When I asked them to provide the new law address so I can view it they couldn't.
    She just said everybody gives it to them and it hasn't been a problem?

They made me so aggravated by not knowing why they do what they do.. I just cancelled my order.

I went back to see if I could find on thier website where they state they will be calling for the number and I coudn't either.

Does anyone know if this is in fact a law?...

Here is a copy of the email I sent them:

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I highly doubt there's a "law" that dictates their practice. As you say, every web ordering site in the country would be violating that "law".

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

yea.. it almost sounds like they have an overzealous webmaster that may not know what he's talking about.

But I'm trying to keep an open mind.

4. swrtwdrv

swrtwdrv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

thanks..Ill do that

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I bought it on ebay

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ill try that too... the campingworld has it for 11.99 16oz, but 7.00 shippiing

thanks maggie moo

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's where I buy mine, for what it's worth. I buy it by the gallon, and they often have discounts.

I've bought lots of stuff from them over the years, and they've been great. Super customer service as well.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought 16 oz from AAAmotors for 11.95.

10. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is what I think is happening. Whoever is running the transactional capacity of their web site doesn't know how to harvest and transmit the CCV data. But their credit card processor won't take cards unless they get the CCV data. So, orders come in and they have to get the code from the consumer through some other means, in this instance telephone or email. Email is a totaly dumb way of getting CCV data. Telephone is better.

As for the illegality of not providing CCV data, that is also dumb. They should have been honest with you, "our card processor requires the CCV code to complete the transaction and we do not have the ability to collect that data from our web site at this time."

The financial services industry is always working on new ways to prevent credit card fraud. Next time you are out to dinner and are paying at a till or you are paying with plastic at a place where a clerk swipes your card, they may be looking at the back of your card not only for your signature, but also for the CCV code. It used to be that when swiping your card (and it still is the case with some readers or transaction processors) that the clerk would verify the card by typing into the terminal the last 4 digits of the card number. That would be the signal to the unit that the card was valid. Currently the trend is to not verify the last 4 of the account number but to verify against the CCV number. However with the advent of white plastics being encoded with stolen credit card numbers another method of determining card validity had to be implemented. The CCV number is there to do that. Rather than verify the last 4 of the account number using the CCV gives another set of numbers to verify that the card in the vendor's hand is valid and not a fradulent card. We see the required field for the CCV number at major internet vendors.

As for 303's site, I have not been there yet, but I'm inclined to believe that they might not be using as sophisticated software as Amazon. They might even be using a database to collect customer orders and card information and then hand entering that into a card terminal to process their transactions. I've purchased from a number of smaller web sites over the years and have received receipts with the merchandise I ordered which were definitly generated on a card machine, not through some other interface to the credit card processing network.

My inclination would have been to provide them the CCV number only if I had called into their customer service line (not received a call from their service department). That means that they are doing due dilligence to help prevent credit card fraud. Remember, a CCV number is unique to a credit card number and vice versa. A fraudster with only a credit card number can't do as much damage now if they don't have a CCV and a fraudster that doesn't have your credit card number but had a CCV can't do jack and can't extrapolate anything from only a CCV number.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sure your prob right.....I just bought from another vendor.... it was nice and easy... I went through paypal through thier site......

12. pocketpenguin

pocketpenguin New Member

There's nothing illegal about asking for the 3 digit code. The law has nothing to do with it. All merchants must follow a set of standards, but only because their merchant agreement (contract) makes them. There is no "law," just contracts. The company is doing nothing criminal.

HOWEVER!!! It is a violation of the merchant agreement to store a CVV/CVV2 number after payment authorization (you can't even store it on paper). The fine is $50K each incident, if caught.

I would say that e-mail is absolutely an unacceptable way to ask for a CVV number or any other type of credit card data because: 1) it is not secure (unless you two are pgp or otherwise encrypting your messages with > 1024 asymetric keys or > 128bit symetric keys. 2) it is very likely that the number will be stored e.g. on backup tape or in the "deleted messages" folder of someone's email. 3) Since you can't enter a cvv separate from a card number, that means the vendor is taking your credit card data, storing it and running an authorization later. Very dangerous that is.

For small companies, it is safest to take the data, run the transaction immediately and store only the transaction ID numbers (and possibly the last 4 digits of the card). This means using an on-line authorization provider like verisign or others. That way the company minimizes their exposure. Hackers can only steal transactions as they happen, but can't get a master list of all credit card data for all past transactions. I work at a $2billion/year organization and our main e-commerce site never stores card numbers. We let the banks do that.

In any case, the vendor doesn't know what they are talking about when processing credit cards. I personally prefer vendors that care enough to do things right in all aspects of their business.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No one said it was illegal that I know of, its more an issue of good business.
    The whole reason that number is on the back of your card it to prove you really hold the card. If companies start asking for it via email and other unsecured means.. it might as well just be another visa number?

In other words.. if we let others get the number, we have just defeated the reason for having the number?

Many scams are going around where companies call trying to get that little 3 digit number claiming they have all the other info of which they will give you.