1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with alarm

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Shellyheim, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Shellyheim

Shellyheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 Prius IV. When I have my dogs (they are less than 5lbs) in the car, whether they are crated or not, they set the alarm off. Any ideas?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you have a glass breakage sensor (it is optional on Gen 2, not sure on 2010)?

My GFs Avalon has a glass breakage sensor and we cannot leave our dog Digby inside the car because his (high pitched) bark will set off the alarm. We were at a restaurant once, and he set it off every time someone got near the car; the lights would flash and horn sound for about 1 min, then it would reset until the next unsuspecting person got too close to the car again. :madgrin:

He has never set off the alarm on my Prius; I did not get the glass breakage sensor.

3. Shellyheim

Shellyheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks I will check to see if I have the glass breakage sensor.

4. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If your car is equipped with the VIP3200 PLUS, it more than likely has the Glass Breakage Sensor.

This system is typically installed on the V with ATP.

David (aka Blind Guy)

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    David,

I would agree with the fact that the VIP3200 Plus would more likely be installed with a breakage sensor, but I disagree that the system is 'typically installed on the V with ATP". I would say that this is typically pre-installed by shady dealers, or requested by clients who ask for it.

I would not think that we are more likely to see this alarm on a V with ATP then with any other model lying around.

6. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Was not installed by factory on my Level V with ATP. I think you have to pay extra to get it.

7. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. The factory does not install these. If you purchase a new Prius (at any trim level) and have this installed prior to delivery, it was either installed as a port option (once off the boat), or by your dealer in an effort to boost their profits. That is not what I was commenting on, only the fact that I did not feel that a V with ATP was more likely to have an alarm than the other trim levels.

I have a V without ATP (Nav only) and do not have an alarm installed at all. I think that it's built in security features will help me from getting my car stolen, when combined with common sense.

8. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    * I am in COMPLETE agreement with you, and, what I (so poorly) ment to say, was, that people who purchase V's and want an Alarm System, the VIP3200 PLUS is the system they typically choose for their Prius.

David (aka Blind Guy)

1 person likes this.
  9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought all Prius come with the alarm pre-installed and purchasing the alarm system merely activates it, or is that something different?

10. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

For the glass breakage sensor, they have to add a module that includes the microphone and other circuitry. On the Gen 2 cars the module is installed behind the lower center dash panel by the dealer (or port installer).

11. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That must be something different. I am aware of the 'Vehicle Immobilizer' that comes with the car, but that is a 'code' that must match your key fob, or it will disable the engine, and not allow someone to bypass the starting system. This comes by default in all 2010 Prius, and does not need to be 'activated' in order to be functional.

12. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OMG!!! Say it ain't so!

I have the VIP3200 on my car and am going to get 2 puppies soon!!! What am I going to do? Better go check the manual or other written documentation...
    anyone know offhand if there's anything that can be done to not enable it every time you leave the car? This will be a HUGE problem for me and will make me VERY unhappy.

13. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's this stuff you can get to give dogs... it's called food. ;)

14. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you are just going to need to test. We just don't leave the dogs in the Avalon anymore. It happened twice; the first time we couldn't figure out what set off the alarm. The second time it happened, we were in a restaurant where we could see the car through the window and every time Digby started barking the alarm would go off. It was a little embarrassing, but actually kind of funny.

You can hear Digby bark at the beginning of this video - he is the little one.

Tag, you're it

15. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aw... I think the sound from that video reminded Cooper, my doggie day care buddy, of the shelter he just got out of 2 weeks ago. Now he wants to sit under my desk. Poor little sensitive baby pit bull. :)

Does the alarm activate if you don't lock your car? I cannot believe that one would have no control over their own alarm system. Surely there has to be a way to not have it on when the dogs are in the car but still have your car locked. Although I will have two pit bulls in there so I doubt anyone would open a door. ;)

16. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not sure, if I get a chance I will try it someday. I don't drive the Avalon very often; it is my GF's car and we usually take the Prius everywhere on the weekends.

I do know that if you unlock the Avalon and do not enter within 30 sec or so, it will re-lock the car by itself. Also, GF once thought she locked the keys inside and the AAA guy couldn't get the car open with a slimjim because it will re-lock immediately after the lever is pulled up.

17. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh yeah, I discovered the other day that the Prius locks itself after 60 seconds. I found out when I was taking pics of my "license plate" and the car beeped. I kept trying to make it beep again by doing things with the camera until I figured out what was happening. :cool:

Surely that must be something that can be customized... ? I hope so.

18. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know for the Gen 2, there is a setting for "Active" vs. "Passive" arming. You would need someone with the Toyota scan tool to change the setting. I suspect that the 2010 is the same way.

1 person likes this.
  19. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car comes with an engine disablement system hooked into the Smart Key System. The alarm, which includes the glass break sensor (VIP3200 PLUS ) requires an additional module, integrated with the SKS and is not just a simple activation.