1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with bladder?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by LoveourMPG, May 8, 2007.

1. LoveourMPG

LoveourMPG New Member

Help! We bought our 04 Prius second hand about two months ago. Previous driver babied the car and had a very short commute to work. The car currently has 35K. This is the third time we have filled the tank and every time we only get about 6-7 gallons in it, although we are filling it from only one flasing pip remaining? This is the history of our fill ups in hopes someone can help me answer my problem. Tank 1 on 04/12/07, got 351.3 miles, cost $20. When I filled Tank 1 from empty, we only got 6 gallons. Tank 2 on 04/23/07, got 280 miles, cost $18.55. When filled from empty, only got 6 gallons in the tank before it was full. Tank 3 on 05/04/07, got 291.6 miles, cost $25. When filled from empty, only got 7.6 gallons. That means we're getting good MPG (47mpg on average), but how do I get more gas in there? How do I get it up to 400 miles per tank? We live in Northern California, mild to hot temperatures. Is there a problem with my bladder? With the computer reading the gallons in the tank? Don't want to take it in to Toyota to get the same run around we have had in the past. HELP US, PLEASE?

Thanks.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is perfectly normal for U.S. Prius. The bladder makes it impossible to use the full capacity of the tank. You will find the amount it takes will vary with temperature and the individual fuel pump at the gas station. If you do a quick search you will find hundreds of posts about the bladder.

Tom

3. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LoveourMPG @ May 8 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]437966[/snapback]</div>
    like qbee42 said very normal for NorCal too! Keep in mind although NorCal really varies especially as you appgroach June. You'll start seeing 100's in less than 8 weeks, and as I recall that should make the old bladder sag a little more, eh?