1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with changing headlight bulb

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jmaliakal, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jmaliakal

jmaliakal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The passenger side headlight went out last night. I looked up some instructional videos and guides on how to replace the bulb, and it didn't seem too bad. I then purchased two Sylvania H11 bulbs from the auto parts store (an extra in case the driver side bulb goes out).

I tried pulling out the dead bulb today (in <30F weather), and it rotated about 45 degrees before giving me resistance. It seemed like the wires were a bit short, preventing me from twisting it all the way. I didn't want to break anything, so I locked it back into place. I tried the driver side bulb just to see if that one was better. It came out easily, but then I had trouble reseating it. Every time I thought it was in place, it was crooked.

I ended up bringing it to the dealership because I don't want to be driving around with a single headlight. Claiming they had to pull off the bumper to get at the bulb, they priced the repair at $90 (for labor alone; they're using my bulb).

Any tips? I'd like to be able to swap the bulb next time this happens.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You only changed 1 bulb? I would think $90 they would do the pair. ALWAYS REPLACE BULBS IN PAIRS.

3. jmaliakal

jmaliakal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm at the dealership now; I asked them to change the driver side too, and they said it's fine (no extra labor).

Back to the original question... Can anyone provide advice for removing and reseating the bulbs? I didn't remove the air intake hose or anything, but I have small hands...

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wait for a warmer day to practice, and empty your bladder first. A little patience goes a long way.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The passenger side headlight bulb is much easier to access if you move the intake hose out of the way. Remove the 3 ten millimeter hex head screws/bolts so you can move the little intake box and hose.

SCH-I535

6. drewtx

drewtx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did mine about 2 weeks ago, and it is pretty difficult - just in terms of access etc.
    Mine is a 2008, but presumably the same lights?

The problem is that you need to be able to get a good grip on the round cover that seals the back of the headlight. It is maybe 5" diameter, and access is very tight. The round cover unscrews. Maybe takes about a 1/4 turn. But it also seems like there was some sealant in the 'thread' so it is very hard to rotate the cover.

So, between the poor access, and the 5", and the 'sticky thread' it takes quite a lot of patience and effort.

Oh, and given the 'sticky thread' (due to some kind of sealant?), it may be much harder to do at low temperatures. I was doing it in Houston TX, in probably 75f weather. You *might* find it helps to gently warm the back cover with a hair dryer - to soften up the sealant.

On the Driver's side I removed a few pieces of trim above the grille - and the allowed the entire headlight unit to move *maybe* 1/2" - which gave be just a *little* more room behind it. But I don't think that is required.

Definitely doable. But, yeah, AWKARD!

And, sadly, might driver's side light (which was the one that was originally failing) is now failing again - after only about 2 weeks with the new bulbs. It is doing that typical thing where it switches itself off at random times. I was very careful about not touching the glass of the new bulb - so I'm not sure what my next step is.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Taking off the bumper on the Gen2 cars is quite easy. I first did the change without taking off the bumper then on a 2nd car, I took the bumper off. I find taking the bumper off only takes 5 minutes and makes the process a whole lot easier....especially if you have big hands.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If the dealer said they had to pull the front bumper to change a bulb on the Gen III, it's time to find another dealer.