1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with Navigation system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tarredon, Feb 2, 2012.

1. tarredon

tarredon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm a first time post-er. I bought a 2011 Prius a few months ago and my only complaint is the built-in Nav System. From the very beginning, it was outdated, not recognizing new roads that had been built a full 2 years previously. Then we moved to Oregon from Texas, and suddenly it doesn't recognize fully HALF the roads. It will put the destination on the map, but the voice just endlessly repeats that it can't give directions but to look at the display instead. Today I called the local dealer and found out that it costs an astounding $170 to install updates (I could buy a better and brand new GPS for that price!). Has anyone had similar issues? I don't know if buying the updates would even solve this!

2. rsg

rsg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps you can get an update CD somewhere else for cheap. That's why I didn't buy the in-dash nav unit -- I saved $1,800 and bought a $150 GPS with lifetime map updates, and a $50 Bluetooth adapter to stream audio from the phone.

I agree with you that it's too expensive to get updates, and it's absolutely ridiculous that the maops are out of date.

Good luck!

Shawn

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When you moved from Texas to Oregon you moved to another region on the map. If you did not change to the proper region, read your Nav manual and be sure you have selected the proper region for Oregon.

The Toyota maps are going to be 2 to 3 years behind current conditions at best. Try the region selection and see if that does not improve it at least somewhat.

I am not sure about Oregon but for NC even the 2008 Nav version covered 95% of the state.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maps are always outdated and come from the same source. It takes 3 years for road changes to get to the maps. On last week's trip to Atlanta my new Garmin with the latest maps didn't have some roads & Toyota's Denso unit didn't have the NW section of I-485 around Charlotte NC.

The two units don't have the same POI. Each unit has some that are missing in the other.

It's a PITA to remember to change the region when searching for an address especially if you are near a border.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It took me a while last night to remember the path to change the region.

Destination -> More Arrow on the Right -> Interstate/Highways -> Search Area

Selecting on Search Area will pull up the US map divided by regions. Select your region and then as you back out the Search Area at the bottom of the first screen should show the states in your region.

BubbleDogs likes this.