1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with the interior?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tad925, Dec 29, 2005.

1. tad925

tad925 New Member

I have a 2004 Prius, which will be 2 years old in the beginning of February. First let me say that I love the car! To date, I have over 54,000 miles on it and it runs and handles great.

That being said, I noticed a problem last spring (no pun intended). There was a spring sticking out of the back of the drivers seat. Since I had not noticed it prior to going over 24,000 miles, the dealership offered to split the cost to replace it. They said the seat was $2,000 plus labor. I contacted Toyota directly, and was told that they couldn't help me. The car had approximately 30,000 miles on it at the time, and I felt that the seat should have been replaced. I'm 6'1" and 220 pounds, but I never jumped on the seat or abused the car in any way. This is obviously a factory defect, and something I've never experienced in the 10 to 15 cars and trucks I've owned to date. Has anyone else noticed this problem? At this point there are three springs sticking out of the back of the seat.

Also, I noticed that the headliner has some play in it. I'm not sure if that is normal, but I'd like to know. Thank you in advance for any light you can shine on these subjects.

Tom

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

1)headliner, droop has been reported here before.
    2)springs sticking out of the back of the seat, could you post a picture of it so we can actually see where exactly the objects are poking out of.
    $2000 is a lot of money considering you can get an industrial equipement seat fully recovered for $140. I seriously consider an uphosltry shop and get them to look at it and see what they have to say. The other thing is most car manufactuers sell skins for the seats so it's just a matter of cutting the old cover off and pulling the new one on and positioning it properly and then hog ringing it down to the frame.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The warranty should be 3 years or 36,000 miles on non-hybrid components. What are they saying, that it's a "wear item"? I'd try to get them to replace it on warranty. You are big, but not enormous, and there's no reason for the seat to go bad so soon. Stuff happens, but this is a defective seat.

Don't get angry. But insist politely that this is a defect and they need to do the work under warranty. You also might want to try another dealership, if there's one you trust located conveniently. Any dealership can do warranty work, and they get paid for it by Toyota, unless Toyota policy really is to refuse to repair upholstery.

Mine is also an '04, will be 2 years old in a week or so. My cruise-control stalk broke last week. They are going to replace it under warranty. (I'll have to wait until after my upcoming trip, though, because they didn't have the part in stock.) I've had no other problems.