1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Process for buying out of state?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tomel, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Tomel

Tomel New Member

Can someone brief me on what the procedures will be if I purchase my '06 Prius out of my home state?

For instance, will I have to pay sales tax in the state of purchase and pay them again when I register the vehicle in my home state? Will I have to register in the other state and then re-register in my home state, incurring registration fees both times? What about temporary tags to get the vehicle home?

Anything else that I need to be concerned with?

2. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have booked my Prius with a dealer in the neighbouring state. I know that Vermont (where my dealer is located) charges sales tax, but New Hampshire (where I live), does not. So i do not have to pay any sales tax when i take delivery of my car. And since i am a resident of NH, i have to register my car in NH only, and pay fees accordingly... just once. I think that i will get temporary VT plates to get the car out of the dealership, and drive it on the roads, and once i register it in NH, i can put my NH plates on.
    Hope this helps.

3. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Contact your DMV (look for their webpage FAQ).
    In California it used to be if the car has less then 7,500 (?) miles and is less then then 3 months then it would be taxed and registered as a new car (all CA taxes apply). If the car is operated in CA for more the 30 days it needs a CA registration.

4. popoff

popoff New Member

I live in NC and bought my car in VA.

I had to pay about $40 local (city) tax to the dealer. The dealer provided me with a temporary tag good for 30 days. I had to pay the NC state sales tax when I registered the car in NC.

I sold my Audi to a guy in Montana (on Ebay.) Same story. He came with a Montana temporary tag and was going to pay the state tax when he got the car back home.

I don't know how it works in other states but I imagine it's similar in most states.