1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Procuring a Prius in the Chicago area?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by kickingtv, Feb 10, 2006.

1. kickingtv

kickingtv New Member

First of all, I'm new to the board and have learned a ton from reading all of the discussions.

I've been toying with the idea of trading in my current vehicle for a Prius. I love the technology within the car and also saving money on gas (daily 90 mile R/T commute) and losing some of my dependency on foreign oil (and I have to admit that the Tax credit piqued my interest as well). With that said, I haven't even started my quest of talking to dealers (I know I'm the minority who doesn't like dealing with car dealers) ;)

I live in Naperville and am probably going to start my "looking" at the local dealer. According to DriveChicago.com they have a couple of models in stock (don't know how often inventory is updated though). I'm interested in a 2006 with package 5 or 6 (the only difference is the HID's, right?). Preferably "Classic Silver", "Seaside Pearl" or Black.

What's the current outlook at the Chicago-land dealers? Anyone know the average wait-times (if they didn't have the car in stock)? Any recommendations for dealers or anyone had an exceptionally good experience in the western suburbs (or even further out towards DeKalb, etc)? I don't want to have to deal with paying over MSRP or mandatory dealer options.

Looking forward to any help you can provide me!

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not from Chicago but I got my car in under 3 weeks here in Boston.

I called/e-mailed/faxed to all locla dealers. Spoke to a couple of places. Many places had none in stock or a real estimate on how long it would take to get one. The 3rd one I wored with not only had 3 in stock (they all sold fast) but also had one coming in in the color/options I wanted.

The number of priuses seems a little bit random but if you call around you should be able to find one.

Have you test driven one yet? They are are a blast to drive!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Send a Private Message to PsyPrius. He lives in the Chicagoland area and seems to have a finger on the pulse of cars coming into the area.

Since you're new, I've gone ahead and set up the "Send and Email" thing for you. Click click this link:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Mail&CODE=00&MID=11940

Two more things:
    1) Welcome to Priuschat.
    2) Make sure you get to the Chicagoland subforum and get in touch with BNLfanMatt about attending a meetup soon.

4. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

As far as Tony said, PsyPrius does have an uncanny list of Prius coming into the area. Check with him for what might be available. I would watch for paying the premiums though, as some may charge over MSRP to get them quickly. We like to discourage that.
    You might find reviews of a couple of dealers here.
    As far as our meetups, we just had one in January, and we usually do one about every couple of months, so next one would probably be March. They are a good resource to meet other owners, see what things they've done (there's a few of us that really get into our cars... it remains to be seen if Tony will do anymore...) You can also get questions answered, b/c even after you buy the car, you will have questions. If you do want to meet an owner before the next meetup, someone that lives by you might be able to meet you, or I'm trying to get a group together for the Chicago Auto Show.

Enjoy browsing the forums, and feel free to participate.

5. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Hey all-

Just got the e-mail, and will look into it. I only refer prospective owner to dealers (actualy specific sales people) who will not charge over MSRP and treat customers well (my thought is, if we have to pay MSRP on ANYTHING, we better get something back in customer service).

From scratch, I know of 2-3 dealerships that can get a Prius cutom ordered in 4-8 weeks, but there are still some pre-ordered and unallocated or aleady on the ground. Let me look into it.

-S

6. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Hey Mike!

I can get your exact car by the end of this month (actually, I tracked a dealership who can do it). Expect an e-mail from them.

-S