1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Product Review: Grom Audio USB2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Oneaxepony, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 base Prius. The stock radio (51830) has no AUX input nor can it play MP3 disks like the next higher level non-JBL radio (51824) found on some 06 - 09 packages. I briefly installed a used 51824 but had to run my own AUX wiring and was disappointed the MFD did not support the radio (no text whatsoever). I returned the 51824 due to a defect and re-installed the original.

After reading about many options for adding AUX and iPod integration on this site I decided to purchase a Grom USB2 from Grom Audio and become an acceptance tester. The device iteself cost about $125 plus shipping and I am supposed to receive $60 back at some point for being a tester. By the way Grom Audio has not previewed this review nor made any suggestions about what I write. OK now that the disclaimer is over lets move on.

The USB2 connects to the CD changer port on the radio and is slated to have three main features for audio input: AUX, USB (mainly via memory stick but other methods work), and iPod. I say slated because as of right now only AUX and USB inputs function. iPod integration is scheduled to be released by the end of June 09. Functionality upgrade is accomplished via firmware which I have done twice so far and works well by download onto a memory stick. To review the full list of features of USB2 please go to gromaudio.com.

The USB2 comes with the device itself, a Toyota specific cable, and two 6 ft cables - one for AUX (3.5 mm stereo M/M) and one for USB (2.0 M/F). It also comes with a 256 MB USB memory stick and a user manual. I dont know the exact dimensions of the device but I posted photos so you can see the relative size.

Installation was relatively easy. I opted to remove the radio instead of trying to install it by just removing the glove box and the vent panel to its left. My installation philosophy was to try to install the device and the wiring right on the radio itself. That way once the radio was re-installed the USB2 wiring would already be complete. I attached the USB2 to the rear of the plastic tray below the radio using velcro strips. See the first photo below. In order to fit back into the dash the USB2 has to be located close to the heat sink on the radio. If you try this method be sure to leave some space between the USB2 and the heat sink so the former does not take on heat and the latter can do its job. With the USB2 in place on the plastic tray I ran the Toyota specific cable into the CD changer port on the back of the radio. I then drilled a hole in the side of the plastic tray and ran in the AUX and USB wires leaving just enough room in the tray to connect the jacks (see the 2nd photo). I secured both wires to the tray frame with plastic wire ties. Because 6 ft cables were supplied I had to coil them up and tie them off with wire ties behind the radio. I will eventually swap them for shorter cables so there is less clutter behind the radio. With this done I simply re-installed the radio and closed up the dash.

When I first powered up the car and pressed the disk button the radio recognized the USB2. However while testing it over the next several weeks there were a couple of times when the USB2 was not recognized. Restarting the car fixed it. I reported this to Grom and was told that this is being addressed in firmware. This has not happened to me with the latest firmware release.

I tested the AUX input with my wife's iPod Nano. It worked well and sounded like the AUX in my 07 Camry LE. I do not have a 12 volt power cable for the Nano so I could not test it to see if any hum is present as has been reported for the AUX on certain Prius models. I will try to borrow a cable and test it when I can.

To switch from AUX to USB and vice-versa press any other audio mode button (i.e. AM, FM) and then press Disk again within 2 secs. I can even press the mode button on the steering wheel 4 times rapdily to do this. While in USB mode pressing the audio switch on the MFD brings up the CD Changer screen (see the 3rd photo). The main (root level) folders in the memory stick are mapped to vitrual disks 1 thru 6. You can have more main level folders but you have to press and hold the ^ button on the steering wheel to get to them (you can get to them from the radio/MFD also). Each press of ^ with a beep moves you up a folder so you can theoretically have 99 main folders with only the first 6 being mapped to its own button. I tried only a few folders past 6 and it worked well.

I tested the memory stick with MP3 and unprotected ACC (iTunes) files and they worked well. The sound was very good - about what you expect from an MP3 disk. In my opinion USB memory sticks are much easier to work with than creating MP3 disks as you simply drag and drop files on it. Plus the USB2 can address 32 GB of memory which is a whole lot more than a data CD. The USB2 also supports WMA and OGG formats but I didn't try these.

One caveat I noted was that if you are playing from AUX (say an iPod) and you switch to USB, you can still hear the AUX faintly.
    I asked about this and was told to simply disconnect or turn off the AUX device. They are considering whether to improve input isolation on the unit. I dont see this as a big deal but just thought I would pass along what I found.

I am pleased with the USB2 so far and look forward to testing the iPod integration when it becomes available. One last note: the USB2 does not support Artist / Track information yet on the MFD. I am told this will be available when iPod intergration is enabled. I should also mention that Grom Audio has been very responsive to my emails, always answering with 24 hours. If anyone has questions about installation or useage I'll do my best to answer them or to find out. Thanks.

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  2. slapointe

slapointe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the review/early preview. I am getting a 2005 Prius in a few days from a private seller, and have been researching AUX/USB upgrades. This might fit the bill for me.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice install and review! Do you still have CD playback capability, or has that been eliminated? I am curious to see the IPOD interface with data. Please keep updating this thread, looking forward to seeing your results!!

4. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I cant recall trying to use the CD player since I installed the USB2 so I just went out and tried it and - yes, it works. If someone has an external CD changer plugged into the radio's CD changer port, you will have to disconnect it to install the USB2. In other words you will not be able to use the external changer anymore. The CD player built into the radio should work fine, as mine does.

1 person likes this.
  5. fberg

fberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this nice review! I'm searching for a AUX-in solution as well. but I don't now for sure if my Prius radio w/ CD (December 2008) will have a CD-changer port on the backside. The CD player itself is not a changer and doesn't support WMA/MP3.

How can I find out this info? Will my radio support a Grom solution.

6. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are describing the base Prius radio which is just like mine (look for the number 51830 on the faceplate). Yes, it has a CD changer port on the back. If you just want AUX-in Grom has a product for that which according to gromaudio.com costs about $60. Good luck with your project.

7. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I just installed the Grom Audio USB2, and tried it for a day. So far I like it a lot. The best thing about it is no fiddling. With an ipod interface every time I got in the car I would have to connect the ipod, then probably do some clunky navigation to start a particular playlist or song. With the Grom it just starts playing where it left off as soon as I start the car up; it's as easy to play as the radio. It's like having six radio stations that I program myself from home and can listen to any time. And with all the recent concern over mobile device usage causing accidents, it's nice to know I'm on the safe side.

One bonus is that the text display works now with my 2004 Prius with Nav and JBL audio; pressing the title button on the audio screen displays what's playing.

I did want to mention a few glitches:

The grom instructions for mode switching didn't work for me; They say to press Disc->FM->Disc, but whenever I did that quickly I ended up in CD1 mode (internal car changer) rather than CD2 mode (the USB interface, seen by the car as a second changer). However, after reading the original post above (thanks!) and doing some experimenting, I figured out what works for me is to press FM, then press Disc, then wait a second or two for the voice to announce the current mode (USB or AUX), and then press the Track up button to change to the other mode.

I also discovered that I could change modes from the steering wheel by pressing the mode button five times to cycle through all modes and back to CD2, waiting for the current mode announcement, and then pressing track up. The rate of pressing those buttons is important; if I press too fast the car misses the mode changes, and pressing too slow it times out. But there is a fairly wide tolerance so it's no problem once you're used to it; I leave about a half second between mode button presses, and about 1-2 seconds wait for the voice before pressing the track up button.

The first few times I tried it out, there was a glitch where it would switch to the wrong "disc"; e.g. I would press disc 3 on the MFD and it would instead go to disc 2 or 4 (I can't remember which). But after a while that stopped being a problem; now it goes directly to the disc I choose. I'm guessing that was an issue while it was configuring itself or something.

And the marketing materials, which used to tout the ipod mode, now no longer say anything about Ipod mode, so I wonder if they bailed on that feature. There is a Mini DIN connector on the Grom labelled Ipod though.

One other note is that in addition to the male connector for the CD changer port which I plugged into the head unit, there was a female connector of the same size and style on the GROM harness, which I had no use for. I puzzled a bit while installing wondering if I was missing anything I should be plugging into it, but it seems to work fine without it. I suppose that's probably for other Toyota vehicles that have external changers.

8. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for sharing your experience. After reading your post I contacted Grom and asked if they still intend to add iPod integration. They said it is still in the works and the firmware to support it would be released in a few weeks.

9. johntylko

johntylko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just installed a Grom Audio AUX-in on 2004 Prius non-nav last night! I've been using a Griffin Autopilot to go from aux to my iPhone/iPod, this way it charges too over one cable, and I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not grom audio supports every type of device.

Also, I didn't really worry about text and control on the screen. One way around this was by swapping the griffin autopilot to a kensington liquidaux connector, as it has a wireless remote that can sit on the wheel!

Total install cost me less than $100 :)

10. esoterikest

esoterikest New Member

Hi Oneaxepony,
    I am going to do the 51824 installation into my 2005 and will need 4 of the harness wires that you used to do the AUX mod. Do you have any left that you could spare?

11. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I do have 4 of those wires I can give you. PM with your address and I'll mail them out.