1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Program new key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AlphaTeam, Jun 2, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read a post a while back on how to program a new key for a 2nd Gen Prius. I looked and I can't find it. I want to buy one on ebay, but don't want to pay the dealer to program the new key. Well...how much would it cost?

2. grizzly1

grizzly1 New Member

it has to be done by a dealer ,I would ask around first useally runs from 25 to 50 dollars,they have to have the car,your original remote,and of course the remote to program,good luck

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    About 18 months ago I called around to dealerships in San Diego county, and got quotes from $35 to $120 just for the programming. If you live where you don't have a choice of dealerships, plan a road trip! BTW Conicelli (partznet.com) and metrotpn.com will probably quote you 25% off the retail price of a fob.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is from an ebay auction.

So one would think it could be done without the help of the dealer.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I just bought 2 form Conicelli Toyota for just over $300.
    Enric Campbell
    Toyota Parts Advisor
    610-690-6000 Ext. 5052

Nice guy.

My local dealer wants $100 EACH to program. I'm going to be on vacation in Milwaukee over the 4th and Andrew Toyota will do it for $45 each. I have an appointment to have them do it, but I'd like to do it myself in the meantime.

So with my above post it appears it is possible. Not that I take everything on eBay as gospel, but it looks like it can be done without them.

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a new remote for my Chrysler Sebring on Ebay. I went to the Chrysler dealer to have it programmed and they wanted $75.00 so I left and sent my wife over there the next day with short shorts and a halter top and they did it for free. :p

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 23 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]275825[/snapback]</div>
    You have GOT to be kidding. OMFG! that rocks.
    I gotta think who I can tramp out to get mine done.