1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming 02 Prius aftermarket key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kcshowman, Feb 19, 2008.

1. kcshowman

kcshowman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I apologize if this has been discussed on the Forum previously. I have a master key for my 02 Prius. I bought a Strattec key blank, had it cut and followed these programming directions:

1) Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
    2) Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
    3) Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF five times.
    4) Open and close the driver side door six times.
    5) Remove the Master Key and insert the new duplicate key.
    6) TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
    7) The new key will be registerd after 60-120 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out indicating that programming has been completed.

The programming did not happen. The blinking LED light did not go out. Has anyone else here had experience programming a Strattec key?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No experience in this procedure, but your instructions look very similar to

Programming New Keys

No choice but to try it again, and if still no joy you might to better with an OEM blank. Good luck.

3. kcshowman

kcshowman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tochatihu- thank you for your post. I tried again and did each step as quickly as possible and successfully programmed the key. I rarely post here, but am always impressed and rewarded with the depth of knowledge that is available here.

4. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup - took me several tries to do it. Counting properly to 6 and doing it fast is crucial ;)

Still, saving 80% off the dealer $100 or so quote for cutting and programming this dum key is rewarding...

5. kcshowman

kcshowman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought 2 key blanks on Ebay for $23 (including shipping). My local key guy on the corner cut them for $1 each, so $25 for two duplicate keys. $100 a key is not in my budget...

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well now we know that Strattec blanks are OK. That's info which should probably get filed away somewhere. So, how fast do you have to do the door opening part? is it amusing to watch?

7. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my case, I bought mine from TransponderIsland off eBay, even cheaper at $8.99 + $4.99 S&H. Total = $13.98. I gave $5 to my local Sears guy to cut it, even though for a whole "dumb" key they only charge $3.50 but I was happy with how careful he was with my blank ;)

As fast as you can ;) . It is funny, especially if you are doing it on a public parking lot and are doing it over and over again before you get it right on the 4-th try :rolleyes:

8. johnson487682

johnson487682 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Here's a tip my Prius mechanic taught me when I was programming my extra key: instead of physically opening and closing the door so many times, you can just leave the door open, reach down to the rubber-tipped door sensor, and press/release the button the correct number of times.

Douglas (2002 Prius)

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Darn good hint there Mr. Johnson. :yo: