1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming 2005 Keyfob Conundrum

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by abjrjrm, Aug 12, 2006.

1. abjrjrm

abjrjrm New Member

OK - I lost one of my 2005 Package 1 Keyfobs (black logo on back, non-sks), and after extensive reading on all the posts here, I purchased a replacement from Keylessride.com ($175.00), which came with their so-called "programming instructions". After numerous attempts, when I get to the "power on for 1 second" instruction, it just don't power on, and the keyfob won't program. I tried every other so-called instruction I can find here and elsewhere, and nothing works. Some of the "keyfob/remote programming instructions" I have found even say to "turn the key to on, then turn back to lock", which I find amusing since the ain't no turning of a remote/keybob.....

Is there a clear answer of... can you program a 2005 non-sks keyfob/remote yourself; or is everything published just a myth, and I have to still fork out money to a dealer?? It really gripes me that several web sites say you can purchase and program their keyfob of a non-sks 2005 yourself, and yet I've not seen anything that has been confirmed as works. (They all say a gold logo sks keyfob must go to the dealer.)

If anyone has any insight, I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks!!

2. pirus_2005

pirus_2005 New Member

No replies?
    I lost mine too and called the dealer .. they wanted around $200 including Programming
    it is expensive
    It was a Night mare
    Lost mine 100 Miles away from home and was stuck ., so friend of mine had to get the Spare Fob from my home and had to drive 100 miles and hand it over to me and I drove back.
    Meanwhile when I was waiting for the friend Called Toyota RoadSide Assistance and they said they can get it towed to the nearest Dealer and he can program a new key but by then the dealer ship was closed and The toyota roadside said they will spend only $100 for towing or anything rest is my headache

So I am now with One Key Fob.
    So have to get a spare Just in Case..
    Any Idea's to get it cheaper ? than $200
    thanks

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So sorry about your tale of woe. Unfortunately, that's one disadvantage with the Prius--the high price of fobs. There are a couple of online parts dealers (conicelli and metrotpn) who could sell you the fob at probably a 25% discount, but you still have to drive to a dealer to get it programmed. Do check every dealer in your area, because I got quotes from $35 to $120 just for the programming (a couple of years ago).

Your original predicament is why I have always advocated hiding a spare fob in the car (either wrapped in foil or with the battery out of it if you have Smart Key) and getting a spare metal key to hide somewhere unobtrusive on the outside of the car. Even though the key in the fob is tiny, it's just a standard Toyota key--any dealer or key shop can make you cheap duplicates. I had nightmare visions of traveling across the country by myself and losing my fob, so hiding the second one in the car was one of the first things I did (if there are two drivers, buying and programming a spare fob to hide would be necessary).

$200 for the fob AND the programming doesn't sound too bad. It's a lot less than losing BOTH fobs and getting a new computer in the car!!

4. pirus_2005

pirus_2005 New Member

well I took the care to the dealer today and got a different quote
    remote-$220
    program-$66

so called another toyota they said total cost $250..
    dont know what to do now

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got one from Conicelli for $150. I called around and a dealer 40 miles away programmed it for $45. Local places wanted $100+. So its worth it to call around.

6. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abjrjrm @ Aug 12 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]302164[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2006...with sks...I purchased an additional fob on ebay for 135. It came with programming that did not work..Went to toyota and had all 3 programmed (they have to be programmed together) for $49 plus tax.

7. pirus_2005

pirus_2005 New Member

well ended up paying $236 total On Friday and guess what in saturday's Mail got the one I thought I lost as the lost and found Dept., Mailed it to my Address
    :D