1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming a used Gen III SKS Key Fob in SoCal Area

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vito.a, Sep 19, 2013.

1. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For those of you in the SoCal area, I found an automotive locksmith that can program a used (previously programmed) SKS Key Fob. He can also cut high security keys.

Contact Tommy at Trapp Auto Key Remotes, Irvine, CA, 949 678-2623. During most weekdays he travels from dealer to dealer troubleshooting and cutting keys. You can arrange to meet him at a dealer near you when he is scheduled to be there. He is also available Saturdays at the Costa Mesa Swap Meet. Reprogramming a used fob and cutting the high security key takes about 20 min.

I've found out the hard way, do not take it to the Toyota dealer. The dealer uses Techstream and unless you have an exceptional technician that knows how to re-seed the ECU, they cannot program used key fobs.
    Hope this helps!

2. Colm01

Colm01 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took a used Prius key fob to Toyota for programming. I had to buy a new key fob and send away for a laser cut key blade from Toyota. They told me once a smart key is programmed it can't be reprogrammed.