1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming an Extra FOB for 2008 Prius - SUCCESS!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Scrittibear, May 28, 2008.

1. Scrittibear

Scrittibear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes - some threads address this FOB-ish reprogramming issue - but not many threads address Fob reprogramming specifically for the 2008 Prius.

I successfully :) reprogrammed a used 2007 Fob I purchased on Ebay for a 2008 Model Prius - I have a Non-SKS (smart Key system) 2008 Base Trim Prius - These non-SKS Priuses use a Fob with a black emblem on the back to start the engine. However - I purchased an SKS FOB with a silver emblem on the back on EBAY for $79 which is meant only for a Prius with a SKS system (or so I thought) - I followed the instructions listed below - it took about 20 attempts and ta-dah - it worked!!!!

My advice - you have to move fast and just keep at it - If I had done so to begin with, I probably could have reprogrammed the ebay FOB on the first or second try (doooo!!!!) so...I can now use the SKS FOB (silver emblem) to start my Prius, BUT I could not re-program the lock/ unlock feature on the FOB - no success there and that's what others seem to running up against. If any one has had success reprogramming the lock/ unlock feature as well on a Silver emblem FOB for a non-SKS Prius, please tell me what you did!

Here is the original FOB reprogram link: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

and here is specifically what I did:

The Fob (for operating the car)
    This isn't hard, as long as your new fob is not broken and you are able to follow simple directions. The whole process will take less than two minutes.

1. STRART WITH THE DOORS UNLOCKED/ and CLOSED. Then insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, then insert it a fifth time and leave it in.
    2. Open and close driver door 6 times.
    3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point and I think the Red anti-theft auto icon will stay permanently illuminated in this step.
    4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set. For me, this took no longer than 10 seconds.
    5. Remove the new fob and you're done. You should test both fobs to be sure they work properly.

As for a key that will lock/ unlock the doors, I will just have to get a few spare metal keys cut at the dealership and hide them. I just cannot seem to reprogram the lock/ unlock feature on the fob at all - :(

Please - if you have a new 2008 Prius and have attempted this in any format - share your knowledge.

2. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, how many fobs are programmed to start the car? 2 or 3 total. I am wondering what the maximum # of keys that the immobilizer will accept.

3. Scrittibear

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2 FOBS are factory programmed (they came with the car new) and I programmed one more today from Ebay - and next week I am going to try a fourth. My reading on this forum leads to believe there is a five FOB total limit. I'll let you know if I can mix and match both black and silver emblem (non-SKS and SKS) FOBS on the same 2008 Prius. Now - If I could only get that darn lock/ unlock feature to work...

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Toyota manual says 5 fobs. Any fob (black/silver/2004/2005+) will probably work in the keyslot for any model Prius. It's the remote/smart functions that are so finicky.

5. Scrittibear

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    UPDATE: I programmed another silver emblem FOB to start the prius 2008 base trim NON-SKS - again - no problems - but the FOB will not lock/ unlock doors - I'll have to get metal keys cut for that for an emergency lock out -- So folks - this really does work - I was doubtful at first too. Not anymore - I just saved $300. DIY.

6. pburkh

pburkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 SKS Prius. My experience with black non-SKS key fob from EBays has been exactly the same. I got the fob programmed to start the car, but not to unlock the doors. Given that that's all I needed, I'm a happy camper.

7. sdhanapal

sdhanapal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there a way to program a FOB key when you don't have any key at all. I bought a car from an auction and it didn't come with a key. Is there any way the car can be put to neutral without a key?

Thanks,

8. snengnr

snengnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1. did you get the SKS fob to work in the sense that it does not have to be in the key dock (meaning it is an official sks key that can sit in your pocket or purse and and one you press the power button on the prius, it automatically starts the car?) or does it have to be in the key dock to start the car up.

2. did anyone ever figure out how to program the car with no keys?

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP said; -
    No, they don't have SKS so SKS does not work. It works like a non SKS fob.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Both the SKS and non-SKS systems support the remote sending a command to the car. The SKS system adds the function of the car constantly asking if there is a remote nearby, and the SKS remote listens for that query and responds.

The SKS fob probably just has an extra part for listening to the query from the car. Or maybe they're all the same and the non-SKS fob has the answerback function disabled. Each fob has to have its serial number programmed into it, and perhaps the SKS function is just another programmed option.

11. snengnr

snengnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow. Thank you for the info...okay so,

1. is it possible, for me a regular human being, to do some of those extra tricks outlined above (i.e.locking-unlocking door, placing key in doc for 4 secs, etc.) to re-program my system from being a non-SKS to being an SKS? or is this completely impossible, and I'm a fool for asking.

2. could i, at the very least, take it to the greedy Toyota dealership and let them do their magic to program it to become an SKS system?

**please advise, since I'm definitely a newbie, who bought a used prius and wants to add a few modifications to make it my own**

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's really not practical to upgrade a base system to SKS. SKS uses extra equipment, such as all the buttons on the front doors and trunk lid. Even if you gathered all the different equipment, you'd still need access to the official Toyota scantool to configure it.

It is practical to have up to 5 keyfobs that work when plugged into the keyslot on the dash. You can purchase extras off eBay, and program the car to accept them with the instructions in this tread. Getting them to work with the remote buttons and/or SKS is an obscure art that has been far less successful.

Adding full function fobs that work with SKS can only be done reliably by a dealer. They have multiple fobs available, and if one doesn't work, they just grab another. The ones that don't work probably end up on eBay...

13. snengnr

snengnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fair enough, I thought I'd ask the question anyway. This thread was so helpful, I'm so glad I joined this group!

14. David P. Howard

David P. Howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 tries, and I got it to work, EVERYTHING!!!!!!

The ignition worked first try, then the locks took 9 tries. I used the ammended instructions, and it finally went through.

What I did different was take my old, beat to crap remote, and put a fresh battery in it and then, once the car went into "Program Mode", I pressed BOTH keys on the OLD and NEW FOB at the same time, and I think I finished with the unlock on the NEW FOB after holding down both button at the same time on both old and new FOB's. Then, I got the magic 1 time loc/unlock and everything worked.

FYI: I have a 2008 Prius with SKS, I went to the dealer and bought a BRAND NEW silver and black circle logo FOB for $220, so I knew it would program. I will now get a 2nd remote from eBay and take my chances, since I now know I can program. I wish I knew exactly what I did, but the one thing I changed was to power up the old remote and press both buttons once I got the car into "Program Mode". Getting it into program mode was easy, but it kept getting the "Double lock/unloc" of denial, no matter what I pressed on the new FOB. 1 key, both keys, just a 1/2 second blip, nothing seemed to work. The 1st time I used the old to program the new, BINGO, it took. I will stash the old broken FOB in the house, and order a "unknown" FOB online and take my chances.

Good luck to others, it took me 9 tries, but I got it using the old remote. If you are having problems, go buy a 2032 battery and hold it in by hand like I did, my old FOB was in pieces, but I got it to work.

Dave

15. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please clarify, are you saying that a non-SKS (Black emblem) fob should be able to start the car without sliding it into the key-fob docking station / ignition?

I ask because I was at the dealership getting my oil changed. After filling out my paperwork the tech left to go move my car. After about 5 minutes the tech came back and asked if I had problems with my car starting, I told him "no" and he replied that my car wouldn't start. I asked him if he put the key into the docking station, and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I told him that I bought the Prius as a used dealer loaner - that it was a base model that didn't come with the SKS-option. (again he looked at me like I was an idiot.) He told me that the reason my fob wouldn't start the car is because the fob battery needed to be replaced. (the red light still appears when I press lock/unlock - so isn't the battery still good?) I told him no, don't replace the battery in the fob. (again he looked at me like I was an idiot.)

He left and drove my car into the service bay just fine after he put the key-fob into the docking ignition slot.

I was told by the toyota dealer where I bought my Prius that this Prius was only a base model and didn't come with the SKS feature, so in order to start the car I HAVE to use the key-fob docking station to get the car to start.

I've always been under the impression that an non-SKS car had to have the key in the docking ignition in order to start the car. So am I really an idiot?

Should the key-fob start the car without being in the ignition slot on a non-SKS Prius?

16. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    From Key Fob....black or silver logo? - Toyota Prius Forum : Prius Online Toyota Forums

The "Smart Key System" (called "Smart Entry / Smart Start" in 2004,) is the fancy super-high-tech key that you never even have to remove from your pocket/purse. You just walk up to the car, grab the handle, and it unlocks. You sit down, push the brake, and press the 'Power' button, and the car turns on. If you don't have the Smart Key System (SKS) then you have to push the button on the remote to unlock the door, and put the key in the slot on the dash before pressing the Power button.

SKS remotes have the Toyota logo in silver. non-SKS remotes have the Toyota logo in black. Technically speaking, a non-SKS remote will work in an SKS car, and vice versa, but you only get the lowest feature set. So for the non-SKS remote, you would have to press the buttons on the remote, and would have to put the key in the slot, even on an SKS-equipped car. The reverse is also true, you can pair an SKS remote to a non-SKS car, but you don't magically get the SKS features.

17. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The SKS and non-SKS keyfobs use different circuit boards inside the identical plastic cases. Both types use the same transponder chip that the car is programmed to recognize in the keyslot. The easiest way to recognize an SKS car is the black pushbuttons on the front door handles. The SKS keyfob has a silver painted logo, while the non-SKS one is black. But the logo plastic could be swapped - it's the circuit board that makes a keyfob SKS or non-SKS, not the plastic part with the logo on it...

In order to use the pushbuttons on the keyfob, the circuit board has to match the electronics in the car. And in order to make a used SKS keyfob work, the car has to have the security computer reset. It's the "seed reset" requirement that causes all the trouble with attempts to make a used keyfob work with the buttons and the "key in your pocket" functions. Dealers, plus some mechanics and locksmiths have the equipment to do the seed reset.

Note that the Gen3 (2010+) Prius uses a different keyfob. No transponder or keyslot.

18. David P. Howard

David P. Howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

Since I went to the dealer to buy my FOB, and the used my VIN to make sure I got the correct FOB, I must have purchased the SKS FOB. There is a logo in solver on the back, as stated before. Inside the silver logo it is black, but the logo is surely silver, the FOB I ordered from eBay is also an SKS, I made sure it was the same part number before I ordered it. It is used, so I will cross my fingers that it will program correctly, time will tell.

Dave