1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming fob 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Anthonyh, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Anthonyh

Anthonyh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have a 2006 prius with one "broken" key left. The key buttons do not work (the key is in half) but I can use it the old fashion way and with the silver key open the door. When I put it back together and put it in the slot it starts the car.

So by reading the forum I was able to program a used key purchased off ebay so it will start the car. I cannot get the key programmed to open the doors. I read the instructions and get it into programming mode but I have tried and tried but it never works.

Is it possible to program a new key without the old key having working buttons?

Thanks,
    A

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the circuit board/switches in the old keyfob are still good, you could transfer the circuit board to the newer case. That way you wouldn't have to redo the programming.

A Gen2 case can be opened by spreading some needle nose pliers in the mechanical key slot. That will break loose the glue holding the two halves together. Then use a couple of dull knives to work around the rest of the case. Dig out the old glue from the newer case. Test the old circuit board switches by holding the battery in place and pressing the switches. It will probably work - it's the rubber part of the case that usually wears out. The circuit board is jam fit into the case - just pry it out with a small screwdriver. Transfer the old circuit board to the newer case. Note that the transponder chip is separate from the circuit board. Use a medium strength glue to put the case back together (not an instant set or super glue!).

Note that a Gen3 keyfob is quite different. The case doesn't use glue or a separate transponder chip.