1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming the homelink

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KCPrius, Mar 19, 2005.

1. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Okay...the wife got a black package 6, and we have a "rolling code" garage door. In the manual, it says that steps 1-4 of the "normal" programming steps must be performed. Step 4 is simultaneously pressing the handheld unit and the corresponding button on the homelink. I tried this every which way but Sunday, and I can't get the code to take. I had a similar problem programming the rolling code on my old 300M...I finally got it working but I'll be damned if I remember what it took to do it. Any ideas? FWIW, I've also had her hold the button on the homelink until the red light starts to flash (I never get the "fast flash"...just the slow one), then pressing the training button on the garage door unit...but nothing. Any help is appreciated.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It helps to completely erase the Homelink memory in your car if this is the first time. Mine refused to program until I did this.

This is in the manual, but for me it took more like 2 mins to get confirmation of erasure, not 20 secs.

There are also door opener specifics you should follow too.

Try the Homelink URL for general tips and specific tips:

http://www.homelink.com

http://www.homelink.com/training/train.taf?do=3

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Big tip the instructions say get a new battery in the opener remote. Follow the directions and get a new battery it made a difference for me and my battery was 8 months old, and the battery normally lasts me a couple of years at least. Putting in the new battery made all the difference. You have to hold the button down until you get a response from the homelink and it took me 1-2 min. not a few seconds and I suspect that the new battery is necessary to give a good signal for that period of time.

4. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Thanks guys!. I needed to get the homelink cleared, then it was a breeze to set up. FWIW, It only took 20 seconds to clear the memory and to get the homelink into the program mode.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It says hold the buttons for 20 seconds, but my experience is a bit longer. Hold until the fast flash.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah it was odd how I had to wait almost 2 mins before I got the flashing. I even timed it with my Seiko sports timer. Anyhoo, once I cleared the memory it was easy to do.

Oddly enough, when the car conked on me last Nov and the ECU reflash was done, it also erased my Homelink. I had to go through that all over again.