1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming the Smart Key (Rear Hatch)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by smbier, Mar 25, 2010.

1. smbier

smbier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all! Just picked up my Blizzard Pearl Prius III and hate having to work because it means I'm not driving.

Here is my question: Is there a way to also have the back hatch unlock when I approach the car along with the driver door?

Thanks!

Scott

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome and congratulations !

The answer to your question is yes, it is a Configurable Option but must be done by the dealer. There is a list of these options in the Owner's Manual. You need to read these options and determine what you may want changed. Most people like the change the reverse beep and others like to disable to passenger seat belt beep.

The option for the SKS doors is either just the driver's door or all doors, including hatch. Most dealers will and should do this for no cost at your first 5K service visit, though there have been reports of some dealers wanting to charge for this service.

3. smbier

smbier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I don't think it can be configured to unlock when you just approach the car. The rear hatch will unlock the hatch and all the other doors when you push the rubber tab under the hatch and lock everything when you push the little button to the right of it, or when you unlock the car otherwise. If that is what you meant.

Otherwise, the placing of your hand inside the drivers door handle will unlock that door only but it can be programmed to unlock all the doors and the hatch by the dealer. Doing that to the passenger door will unlock all the doors and the hatch. I hope that answered your question.

5. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For 2010 only package 4 and 5 have the three door SKS. So the passenger door or the hatch won't open with SKS on a package 3.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes and no.

Yes, the 4 and 5 only have three SKS door sensors (driver, passenger and hatch) where you can open any of the three doors (or all) with the touch sensors.

With the other packages with only one SKS sensor on the driver's door, you can program the SKS to open only the driver's side door when you touch the driver's door sensor or you can open all doors when you touch the driver's door sensor. It is a Configurable Option.

7. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually this is one of the few remaining user-configurable options - you don't need to have the dealer do it. Owner's manual p 48: Turn power off, hold the both the lock and unlock buttons for about 5 seconds. That will switch modes between unlocking only the driver's door and unlocking all doors.

2 people like this.
  8. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just picked up my red Package III yesterday, and was wondering about that.
    Thanks for the heads up.!:tea:

9. ronnyguru

ronnyguru New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yup - that's the 1st thing I did when I got my P III 2010. - Simple instructions in the manual, and works ! It'll make a unique beep when it's done.

On a side note : Is it me or the smart key is an eye sore. They would've put in a little effort to shape the plastic. Any one would like it in a different shape ?

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You hold the lock and unlock buttons on the remote?

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That what Post #7 says as stated in the Owner's Manual.

12. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Well, it doesn't actually say on the remote, but that does seem logical. I will try it in a few minutes and let you know.

On the other hand, some of the models do not seem to support this, so I hope we are not misleading people.

Edit: Yep, it works. I just went to my garage, held both buttons down on the remote and now my drivers door works all the locks. Hold it until the car beeps at you and then let go and it is done.

1 person likes this.