1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Progressive Insurance

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tbstout2, Oct 16, 2006.

1. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I posted the below text as a reply to a different subject. However, I’d like to know if anyone out there has heard of such a thing with your insurance company.

I have bought and sold 5 houses in 44 years. I’ve never once missed a payment on anything. The last time I borrowed money for a car was in 1984. I’ve owned 3 new cars since 1991 where I’ve paid cash for the purchases.

The problem I just encountered with Progressive Insurance was that since I have no CAR credit history they raised my premium! Can you believe that? My wife paid for 6 months of the insurance. Once it’s passed that date I’ll be sure to change carriers.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Unbelievable. Maybe they figure it is a sign that you have enough money to afford the bump in payments. :(

USAA is awesome, but you have to have a military connection to get it.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, happened to me too. i just replied in that same thread. paid cash for my old buick, and when i switched over to progressive they said i didn't qualify for the lowest rate because i'd never had a car loan.

i left them pretty quickly.

4. dreichla

dreichla New Member

From what I gather, insurance rates are increasingly being tied to our credit scores.

Additionally, credit card rates are being tied to mundane things such as our utility bills.

Take all that data, lump it together, and churn it out in a computer model and the end result is an insurance score which tells them what kind of drivers we are based upon our financial responsibility. Those of us with little, no, or impeccable credit history are at a severe disadvantage. For financial credit worthiness, it's better to carry a balance than to pay our debts off in full each month.

5. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

You don't have to wait 6 months to switch. You should be able to switch any time and Progressive should send you a check for the unused portion of your premium.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Oct 16 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]333545[/snapback]</div>
    Myth.

7. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dang, and I am with Progressive currently! Perhaps I should switch? Since I never had a car loan seems like a logical reason to go elsewhere. But I really feel that its absurd because of the fact that one has never had a loan that the insurance premium gets jacked up.

8. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgreys @ Oct 16 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]333585[/snapback]</div>
    Amen - and let them know why you are quiting. Also, have them tell you the competitors rates, to see who is the lowest, like they say.
    (You could always join the military and get USAA - I have it also.)