1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project Lithium Prototype Doubles EV Range of Plugin Prius

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PriusCamper, Jan 28, 2023.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, especially @bisco ---> looks like Dr. Prius has finally got around to building LifePo4 modules for Plugin Prius. It's still in prototype stage and lots of torture testing still needs to be done, but perhaps by Q3 2023 you'll be able to buy one? I mean who doesn't want to double their EV range as well boost re-charging speed?

If you have any question about the details of the prototype development process I help test, sell and install these packs for regular Prius and will do my best to answer as best I can. I'll also make sure any questions I can't answer get past on to Dr. Prius so he can answer them.

In the 1st video he does his first all EV mode range test and in the 2nd video he shows his prototype module design and installation process:

As always, if you use my affiliate link to buy a Project Lithium pack for your hybrid vehicle I can offer you unlimited tech support and a discount on the the installation if you aren't too far away from me: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

Kot21, vvillovv and bisco like this.
  2. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not for me, but whatever floats your boat.

[​IMG]

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! this guy is a genius. what a simple installation, i was always under the impression that the whole battery had to be lifted out.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    He calls it a plug-in Prius. Not sure what it is, but it is not a Prius Prime.

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s could actually be a PIP 2012-2015 which was an OEM Toyota plugin before the prime.

Or it could be a normal not plug in with a plug.

For me due to tax purposes a 2001-2003 “plug in “ Prius would be ideal as I would never again pay registration or hybrid fees

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first Prius plugins rolled out in 2012 in the US... They changed it a alot by the time your 2017 Plugin came out.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but in 15 or 20 years when your Prius Plugin battery starts showing signs of old age, it will be a more affordable and better performing option that what Toyota will offer you.

8. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So this option will double the 11-12 EV miles of a PIP to 22-24 miles. Doubt that would be cost effective. Can you provide a ball park figure of what this replacement battery pack might cost? If you could double the mileage of my PP to 50 miles it gets my interest.

9. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for starting this discussion. In addition to the improvement in EV range, the most significant factor is that the cost will be less than half of what Toyota is charging its customers. I hope we won't get sued by Toyota, maybe need to lawyer up first!

PriusCamper and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would only be cost efective when you need a new battery. that's when people put their other battery in the regular prius, and that is price competitive

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jack,
    are there enough pips on the road to make this worthwhile for you?

12. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    not sure, but I am getting email almost every week for the PIPs battery.

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting. i haven't seen many failures here

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Back before DIYELECTRICCAR community died completely you would see folks asking near daily about putting in another or a different battery into their short range plug in.

1st Gen leafs
    IMIEV
    And Prius of various types were the usual suspects

Lots of folks with buyers remorse who want more and think it’s cheap and easy.

Until recently it was neither though a leaf battery or cell swap is much more possible now.

My guess is Jack should encourage said individuals to post to his appropriate battery thread with their info and intent.

Im always interested to see how many tire kickers there are who want to “upgrade “

I’m guessing others here would like to see build threads, could build excitement

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    probably a very boring drive with the car showing an average of 20mph.......

PriusG909 likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, this whole deal is more about your long-term plan for plugin Prius after near a couple decades and battery performance is bad and it will be a more affordable and better performing than OEM option. They also messaged me to say that these batteries are "not LiFePO4 but the NMC lithium." Currently the testing is being done by an uber driver who's getting 22 miles of EV on the freeway, among other things. As in there's lots of variables on how these batteries are designed to work with the existing systems and it's not just a bunch of replacement batteries slapped together, but something with far more complicated design/circuitry.

For me personally, it means that when the first of the 2012 plugin prius start to have battery problems I'm going to have saved up and will by one with a bad pack and replace them with a Project Lithium pack and large amounts of money will be saved to get closer to EV. Of course the 2012 Plugin-in Prius are some of the most reliable Prius ever so I'm not going to be holding my breath...

bisco likes this.
  17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does that mean Wisconsin has a collector car exemption for cars older than 20 years? Out here in Washington state your vehicle has to be 30 years old to get that. So in 7 more years I'll probably have a hyper modified 2000 Honda Insight with exempt plates. Those cars have an all aluminum frame and only weigh 1800 pounds. :)

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The second video shows the install and the module prototypes... Way more interesting!

19. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a handful of folks claiming that they lost a lot of range on their PIP down to 5 miles range or so.

If they are frustrated and still have the car you might get a deal.

But a 1st Gen PIP is sort of a unicorn, your more likely to find an IMIEV or a 2011 volt as very few were made.

Yes, it’s really the only way I would own a normal hybrid is with collector plates, the extra fee isn’t worth it over an old stick.

PriusCamper likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But a drive I make every day.
    Any faster, and your pip rapidly becomes a regular Prius