1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Battery Reconditioning Kit: Snake Oil?? Opinions Please.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bej, Sep 24, 2018.

1. bej

bej Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello, all, long, long time lurker here.

I have a 2008 Prius that I've owned since brand new. It has 108,000 miles on it. (low mileage, if you ask me...I worked for years just 1.5 miles from home until recently and didn't drive it that much)

I've noticed over the past several months that the hybrid battery discharges much more quickly than it used to and the ICE is coming on more often. I still get 43 MPG and no codes thrown, but I'm seeing the signs of an aging pack and I know what the inevitable is down the road that I'm going to need a battery replacement.

I've been reading a lot about the Prolong battery reconditioning kit on and off this site and I've seen nothing negative about it, just satisfied customers. If anything, it just seems a bit labor intensive to install the harness in the car and Im not sure that I have the comfort level to do that.

I've been taking my car to Luscious Garage in San Francisco for years, and I emailed over there asking what they thought about the Prolong system and maybe a price to install the harness, should I decide to buy the system. I got a response back saying it's definitely a snake oil fix, that the only way to ensure the battery will last is to just keep driving the car, and to replace the hybrid battery when it fails.

I was really hoping to make the battery last another couple of years, but I'm guessing this is not possible? Any thoughts?

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the is a surprising answer from luscious. it may be that there is no definitive proof for them, i'm not sure. but they are in the business of replacing parts. and they did get burned by reconditioned replacement batteries (which is another ball of wax) so they may be twice shy, and not willing to look deeply into it.

WilDavis and srellim234 like this.
  4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    That (in bold above) is about all you need to know. Seems like a natural bias for luscious garage to say that....I'd take their statement with a grain of salt. Personally, I don't own one...but there are many here that have had great success with Prolong.

Raytheeagle, srellim234 and Dxta like this.
  5. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I purchased the Prolong system but not until I had read through the Duracell Technical Bulletin at this link

Wayback Machine

and was pretty sure there's a sound reason it's NOT snake oil. Particularly, page 10 on "Memory Effect" sums up the justification for the process of full charging, discharging and recharging an older battery pack.

I invested in the Prolong system and have used it for over a year. Like you, I didn't have the confidence to install the wiring harness myself so I paid a local hybrid mechanic to do it. The system has steadied the fluctuations in the state of charge and I've had a lot more confidence in the car on our long distance, multi-state trips.

As for longevity, that's something that can't be quantified. There's no way to definitively state when any particular pack will fail. A lot of old packs are still going without help. I do believe, though, that the way my screen was fluctuating and the driving conditions we're subjecting this car to, this pack would have failed already without Prolong.

Like you, I'm trying to squeeze a few more years out of the pack before either a battery or a car replacement. When either goes, I plan on recouping most of the cost of the Prolong system by selling it along with the harness then.

With the reason for reconditioning independently verified by Duracell and since most of the cost can be recovered by selling the Prolong system when I'm done with it, I decided it was worth spending the money for it. You may read the information available and feel differently. There's nothing wrong with that.

Jdz67, WilDavis, Raytheeagle and 4 others like this.
  6. bej

bej Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've also read from some posts that even with a newer pack that conditioning once or twice a year is good preventative maintenance.

Luscious quoted me over $3,000 to put a new battery in the car (today's prices), but if I can get another couple of years with just a $600 investment, it seems like it would be a much more reasonable choice for now.

Regardless, Luscious would not quote me the Prolong harness installation (I don't want to give out the name of the tech that emailed me back...don't want them getting flack!), so I guess I'm up a creek without a paddle. I've done some of my own repairs on the car in the past, but man....messing around with that battery makes me nervous.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with your statement. It might be snake oil, it might not be. There is no way to quantify how much it helps for how long. The one thing I do know is it’s currently 640 to find out. If it does not work you can sell it here used and be out less than 300 dollars plus fees if you cannot install it yourself. Not a bad risk in my opinion.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Luscious Garage is one of the very highest respected hybrid shops in the nation.

If you have extra money to spend on a Hybrid Automotive system, go for it.
    I own several different charger/discharger systems that I acquired long before Hybrid Automotive was in business and use them periodically on battery packs.

If you plan on using one, now would be the time to do it, not after a module dies/shorts out.

But if you know you will buy a new battery when yours fails, there is no harm just saving the money that would have gone for a charger/discharger, and simply put it towards a new battery.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While Luscious Garage May be respected, they are also a private business and definitely charge a premium for their services;).

I bought the Intelligent Discharger and charger and have used it successfully to maintain our 2010 Prius II with 187 k miles:).

I also share this setup with @SFO and @The Critic where we each have a harness and the charger and Discharger float between us.

If you are interested in saving yourself some $$$$ as ive seen Luscious garage pricing and install the harness, follow the below thread:

Possible Monthly install meets. Bay Area-Fremont

We usually meet in Lafayette as it is a great midway point(y).

SFO, bej, WilDavis and 1 other person like this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What does "successfully" mean? The battery still worked? So did the one in my Gen 1 when it got crunched at 15 years and 230 k something, without the treatment. (Person I sold it to did tell me he replaced it shortly thereafter.)

-Chap

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Successful means to me that it’s performing better and almost “like new”.

We have a 2017 RX450h and while the batteries are different sizes, I drive the RX enough that when I take similar routes with the Prius, I know where the battery will get down to the point the engine kicks in.

Example:

Took my folks to the SFO airport last night. On the way home where 101 meets 80 is always slammed with traffic. Having done this drive before in both cars (and AC off since it’s never warm enough to need it in San Francisco), I have experienced that the RX will go about 2 miles in stop and go traffic before the engine kicks on. My parents came out in March of this year and during that trip I noticed the Prius battery only lasted about a mile in the same drive. Guess what I did over Easter;).

Another example:

Driving to work I have to crest Willow Pass which is on highway 4. Having done this drive 5 days a week for the last 4.5 years, I know what mpg to expect since I leave the house at the same time everyday and leave work most days around the same time, making traffic conditions relatively the same. Back a year and a half ago when our 2010 had 149 k miles on it, I was noticing mpg drop (it typically runs 50-52 mpg displayed where it dipped to 46 mpg), getting up Willow Pass taking more engine power and the battery not lasting as long in traffic. After reconditioning, I do notice a return of mpg, less need to increase the accelerator pedal use and better longevity in traffic.

Just my experience, but here’s some of that during the process:

2010 Prius II HV Battery Reconditioning

vienzdu likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah pretty much what you've said. I would think if you installed the Prolong in a healthy battery, it may extend its lifespan. But an already ailing battery: I'd be reluctant to throw money at it, just replace.

scona likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ive helped rebuild 2 batteries using the prolong equipment. Basically 1 module was replaced in the one pack and 2 modules were replaced in the other. The 2 module pack replacement was done about 9 months ago and was working well until the owner sold the Prius for a new SUV (expanding family).

The 1 module pack was done about 4-5 months ago and still working well.

If (and this is a big IF) I had a module failure, I’d rebuild and recondition our 2010’s pack knowing I had the proper equipment to perform the activity and make the repair last.

Once you have the tools, it can allow for flexibility (y).

SFO, srellim234 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cautious before investing in one is prudent, but bej doesn't appear to have a truly ailing battery. Like mine, his seems to be just an old one showing signs of age and weakness. It hasn't thrown any codes yet. Weaker cells can still be strengthened by the reconditioning process. They can't be restored to what they were when they were new but they can be significantly improved and balanced more closely to the rest of the pack.

I absolutely agree with you about being reluctant to expect a Prolong system to significantly extend the life of a battery that already has a failed cell or two but he's not there yet. I wish this discussion were happening another three or four years down the line so we could better assess the results but right now we don't have that luxury.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I can also see the reluctance. However, @Raytheeagle offered the OP a 'share' of a system already shared by three others. Seems like a no-lose proposition for the OP. I would certainly take that offer if I was in the area.

srellim234 and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ll have to discuss with the other owners, but it should be doable;).

Worth discussing with the op and Sharing our experiences if nothing else(y).

farmecologist and srellim234 like this.
  17. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Absolutely. In your situation save the money toward a new battery if your intention is to eventually replace it and keep the car for another eight to ten years or more. A new OEM battery is very likely going to give you a minimum 10 years of dependable, stress free performance. I would look at using the shared Prolong system with others in your area to maintain it in the meantime while you build up the replacement fund. The harness by itself is not that expensive and they can help you install it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Oops didn't mean to put words in your mouth. :D I guess 'offered' was the wrong word to use.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No worries;).

If the OP is interested, he might want to bet our thoughts first anyway:).

Time will tell(y).

farmecologist likes this.
  20. bej

bej Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wow, this seems like a neat idea.

SFO, WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.