1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prometheus bites the dust

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by parrot_lady, Apr 8, 2006.

1. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The accident is not my fault (I wasn't driving my car...) nor is it the fault of the driver of my car-- the other person was attempting a left on a green light where we had the right of way through the intersection. There were three witnesses that told this to the cops on the scene as well. I got contact information for one of them.

Might not look like much, but, the frame is bent... I've got a fuse cover from something somwhere under the hood and one of my fog lamps as well. whatever plastic containers that are under the hood in that area are shattered...The passenger side door is bent to the point where it doesn't open that well. (that one pic btw, is not me in the front seat, its my younger sister) fire fighters LEANED on it hard to just move it to get my sister out after they moved stuff in the front (the side panel)

they moved it 5 feet to get it out of the intersection and the front passenger tire just kinda decided to tilt in on the car and not move anymore. I was screaming mad at this point and then they weren't going to flatbed it... and started looking like they were going to monkey with stuff under the hood.... made 'em stop and told them they could be killed if they touched the wrong thing (I was nervous at this point)

My laptop (loaded with the GPS software for the GPS unit)... is broken. my desktop was in the car as well, as I just returned this morning after being gone a week, thankfully my bike was left out where I was. My sisters computers might be in equally bad shape, we were headed out to a presentation where she was supposed to be talking... her Ibook, at a minimum is damaged (the latch is broken on the cover) from the blow.

While I won't say my dad isn't at fault... he owes me. He was driving my car at the time of the accident. Funny thing is, I told him right before I bought it that I knew somehow, some day he was going to be the one to ruin it.

as far as we're all concerned... do you think they'll total it out for the damage thats done to it? At this point I don't want it back-- the seatbelts up front didn't lock at all... if the airbags would have gone off both my sister and father would have been SOL, and he was doing about 20-30mph on impact.... well below the posted speed limit.

The place that towed it claimed to have worked on them all the time (collision revision in Joilet, IL) and they were "master techs of it" can I see your toyota certification? "we're not certified by..." "Don't you dare TOUCH MY CAR for repairs" PC educated me well in knowing what to ask.

... and they then claimed they worked on them all the time, yet, one of the people there didn't know that the flat fob was the key. They were helpful in the rental car, and getting me directions to the hospital, setting things up with statefarm, but I want to make it clear that they aren't touching anything else in my car as far as that goes, and statefarm is NOT to order them to work on it, or release anything to them without first getting ahold of me.

*sigh*

depending on the outcome of things will depend on what action I take. I ultimately am hoping that I don't have to wait to long to find things out, cause if I need a new one I want to get the ball rolling asap... :( I didn't want to deal with this.

I still don't want to deal with this. I had an interview scheduled for next week that I ahve to cancel... or postpone at the very least. Just as things look up... *grumble grumble*

I guess the brightside is the possibility of getting an '06... but paying several thou for it....
    Amy

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The expression of the girl in the passenger seat of the Prius is priceless.
    Sure sorry about the car, but it looks reperable.

3. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

Ouch!!! :(

That hurts just looking at it! Well, it could have been worse. Good for you for standing up to the mechanics when it comes to working on the Prius...and yes, you should go through it to make sure that things are done right. You don't want to end up with a car that has been half taken apart by folks who havent the slightest idea how to fix it...or worse, those that are learning how to work on a Prius on your car!

But it could have been worse...nobody was seriously hurt. And, dare I say it, it is only a car after all. If you had the choice between a car (even a Lamborghini) and being able to walk for the rest of your life...well, you get the idea. Hope your dad doesnt feel bad.

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

What a shame---and that's two of you who got whacked today (one last night).

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look totalled. Might be if the frame's badly bent. I'm with you: I'd want it totalled. The market what it is, you should get top dollar for it if it's totalled.

Know you'll keep us posted.

Sorry it happened.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oye... Glad everyone's okay. Hmm.. Saturn's plastic door panel lol. I guess it'll be easy for him to replace it :lol:.

Yeah, the Prius doesn't look too bad. But then again, you said the frame was bent?!? Are you sure?

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as our numbers grew, i knew the law of averages would catch up with us. now wrecked Priuses are popping up all over. i am so sorry to hear about your loss. to have another Prius be taken off the road is a tragedy. i can t tell how glad i am to hear that you will be replacing it with another.

hope your family is doing well Amy

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh no, another wreck?? :( :(

good for you, standing up to anyone who so much as considered touching your car and asking for their certifications! i'm glad you did because you really never know.

as far as the pretensioners go... i'm not sure if they go off in all accidents or just the ones bad enough to set off the airbags. i don't really know based on the pictures if they'll total it- depends on what things look like under the twisted fender and under the hood. if it's a fender, a front end and a couple of plastic things under the hood it may not be enough to total the car out. i'm pretty sure the windshield washer fluid reservior is right over there, can't recall what else.

well you know what to do, get recommendations from the dealer. body shops don't have prius techs (whole different set of ASE cert's and whatnot for collision work vs repair work) but one that works closely with a dealer would be your best bet, so they have Prius certified guys to go reference when needed.

if it's not totaled, make sure they replace everything with genuine toyota parts. insist on it, don't be afraid to pound your fist on the counter.

good luck, glad you all made it through the accident safe and sound (although quite shaken)

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow these cars sure hold up in traffic crashes :)

But sorry to hear of your misfortune :blink: :mellow: :(

9. SluggoLovesNancy

SluggoLovesNancy New Member

I'm sorry to hear about the collision. I spent about $800 just on the spoiler last summer. Looks like thousands based on that experience, there is some sort of inner bumper that costs boatloads, I've seen here.

10. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 8 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]236947[/snapback]</div>

don't let the innocence of my sister fool you... shes on the phone with the family lawyer, and writhing in pain.

last thing she remembers is just how bad it felt and ... "feeling like she was falling into the sky" when they took her out.

:(

Gah. I'm glad this place exists... without I'd be lost....

and yes, they got the car part way up on the stupid hoist on the tow truck.. I was demanding they NOT do it, they weren't listening to me. I finally was cussing so bad they put it down. I'm worried damage was done though, b/c of the different action of the hoist to lift the car.... bah.

I hate the rental car. Its a stupid Dodge neon... the mirrors are all wrong, the engine isn't right, and its just STICKY all around. I want the prius back, and I want it now.

11. krainium

krainium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Parrot_Lady,

My heart goes out to you as a fellow-Chicagoan and a new Prius owner. I have been following your comments for months. My wife had her Honda Civic Hybrid totalled and State Farm gave her more than she paid for it in replacement costs. I noticed another post on the Commercial Sales section for a dealer selling new Prius cars with somewhat of a discount. So, if they can't fix it (they will try hard to do so since the replacement cost is so high), maybe this will allow you to start over. Thank G-d you and your sister are OK.

Wishing you the best and a speedy repair/replacement

Krainium

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ Apr 8 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]236990[/snapback]</div>

I don't think the hoist did any damage...had they dragged it with the front end on the ground for a long distance I'd be worried, but it shouldn't have done any damage that short bit. But you were right to insist on the flat bed.

And I'm sorry about the neon...ick!

13. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 8 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]236979[/snapback]</div>

I immediately called my mom cause their prius was hit by a shopping cart, I knew the name of the place, but I didn't have a phone number or addy, this place works VERY closely with the dealership. So body work could be done there, otherwork under the hood, I'd like it done at Toyota themselves.

StateFarm is gonna have a bitch of a field day with this one... costwise if it gets expensive to have everything genuine toyota... I'll demand it, and have no problem with it, but when the work is said and done, how do I check to ENSURE tahts what they actually used? Part numbers/serials/stamps on there that say genuine toyota?

I just called my ssiter... her laptop (apple Ibook) that was in the car is also damaged like mine, the bulb is broken, and her HD in it is running raunchly. *GRRR*

Amy

14. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

IF your insurance wont total it...tow it a private yard and then part it out. youll probably get AT LEAST the value of a new Prius by selling off the individual parts piece by piece. your insurance adjustor is gonna cry foul, but really, there is nothing they can do if you dont decide to file a claim. No total. no claim. stand firm

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can tell genuine parts. anything else won't fit right.

if you're very nervous, you can ask to see the parts before they install them.

hope this is taken care of right, and quickly. i feel for ya, stuck in a neon...

16. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 8 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]237012[/snapback]</div>

ok... yeah I'm not going out tomorrow... and the verdict on the damn rental car is that I'm going to toyota to rent a car monday morning, and taking this hunk o junk back.... its odd! I don't like it, and yes my insurance will cover a toyota rental.

17. momfortheenvironment

I'm guessing the bent frame and the total cost of repairs will decide if they total it. So if its questionable, make sure they have a list and figures for everythign that needs fixing and yes I agree on the genuine parts. But all in all the important thing is that your sister and father are ok. Yes a car wreck is extremely stressful, aggravating, annoying, well you get my point, but its a thing and replaceable. If the people are ok, that is priceless. I was in a serious mva about 19 years ago and did not walk away from it, and 19 years later I still deal with the injury so it really is something that can be overcome with the people being ok. It is amazing how much we depend on them so I totally understand your stress. That stinks about the computers too. I'm pretty sure a desktop would be covered under home insurance but not sure what you do about a laptop in a car. Wow thats complicated. I'm so sorry about your car, glad you are getting a better rental and glad everyone is ok.

18. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

well I had to go out yesterday and buy a new laptop. friends told me that its gonna cost something around $1,500 if I wanted a new screen (called the company even, same thing) I'm taking off weds. and need to know where I'm going... so my gps has to work...

my sister called crying yesterday and we went over to get her, and she bought a new one as well. It couldn't wait, she uses hers for class work, and would be lost without it...so I'm holding on to reciepts, and paperwork for the new ones, copies of the accident reports, and listing everything that I have/can for "pain and suffering" its unreal how much you learn from being in just one accident.

insurance will cover them under personal property. I'm sure the cops will remember me screaming about the expensive equipment I couldn't leave-- my desktop computer is worth well over $2g so I couldn't leave it. I modified it out myself... so its the initial purchase, new vid card, new sound, card, memory, power supply, hdds, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'm really glad I didn't have to replace it. The Bf did something smart for me and strapped it before I left his place. Without him doing that it would have been ruined.

I'm stopping by toyota this morning with the rental car, and going back down to Joliet (its an hour drive in a gas guzzling neon) and off to deal with the insurance adjusters, making sure they know what went wrong and whats damaged on the car-- Statefarm in my area doesn't see many Pruis, so they're going to be surprised at whats listed as being damaged/in need of repairs and inspections.

*sigh* this whole thing is a mess... and it has to be taken care of by Wed, or at least well on the way to being done.

Amy

19. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Did the cop cite the other driver for the accident based on all those witnesses?

If he did, then it won't be YOUR insurance company paying, it'll be THEIR insurance company paying. When that happens, you're usually in good shape, because YOUR insurance company will help you fight for more $. The exception, of course, is when you both have the same insurance company (so I hope that's NOT the case)...

Anyway, I agree. If they refuse to total it, I'd strongly suggest taking the check from THEIR insurance company for whatever parts and labor they said they WOULD have needed to fix it... and then sell the rest of the car on eBay. You may very well come out ahead that way.

I wouldn't want to drive an "mangled & then unmangled" Prius. I just never trust a car that's been in that bad of an accident.

Also, the other driver's insurance company (if they were cited at fault), should also be paying your deductibles on your homeowner's policy for the computers, etc. that were inside.

(Unfortunately, I had a similar mess one time in PA with a Honda Prelude... <sigh>)

Hope all goes well for you. Glad your family is OK.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Apr 10 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]237447[/snapback]</div>
    Or in Michigan, where we have "No Fault" insurance, in which case your own insurance company is stuck with the bill.

Tom