1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proof that Pruis' have become mainstream

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by icarus, Jan 12, 2010.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been pretty interesting to watch as Prius' have become mainstream over the years. The gen 1 issues were nearly always driven by people who one would normally consider "green" Most of them bought the car even though it was (at the time) relatively new technology and it came at a Premium cost.

Gen II owners came on board for much the same reasons, and many came on board as a way of supporting and pushing both the margins and the marketability of green technology. (Our reason) These people had little illusion that they were going to save money on gas, although as the price of gas has gone up.

It seems by reading the fhop threads and the environmental threads, the number of posts from the anti tax crowd and the folks that don't think that global warming is real, come from owners of 09/10 years. This seems to confirm the notion that the Prius has become mainstream.

2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    "Mainstream" or not, I purchased the G3, IV, based on a very positive past experience with Toyota quality; and a belief that gasoline will again increase in cost. Climate change issues were not a factor.

With 8500 miles on the odometer, I have been delighted to find that my pre-purchase evaluation was "right-on." I find the car comfortable, attractive, economical, no rattles, the size is perfect for two, and performance is well within my expectations. I have absolute confidence in my ability (comfort and safety) to drive cross-country coast to coast (which I will do iin May).

The Prius is my only automobile .... meaning that I use it daily for every driving need. I have no interest in an EV with their limited range. I am perfectly satisfied that I can put a reasonable quantity of gas in the tank and drive 400-500 miles and give no thought to fuel for 8 hours. I delight in not having to look for sources of hydrogen, or natural gas, or motels with electrical charging stations.

My one interest the Prius cannot accommodate is pulling my RV. But I have a turbo-diesel PU (used sparingly) for that purpose.

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is not uncommon to have several Prii in any parking lot in our area. Some areas of course are not as Prius saturated but it really has lost its' place as a niche car. There are retired folks, families, singles and young people driving these cars. As Toyota expands on the Prius line hybrids will become more mainstream than even now.

4. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And...

This is a good... no a GREAT thing. The Prius has forged a path that EV's are now going to be able to follow into the market place. Just think, for every Prius you see on the road now, that's one more guzzler NOT there and that makes it that much more attainable for the next one to be even more green.

It's like a bridge that non-native-green-thinkers can walk across to leave the dark side and come to the light.

^^

2 people like this.
  5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Felt,

We've driven our from Vancouver to Maine Via Memphis once, and from Vancouver to Maine another couple of times, plus several trips from Vancouver to Thunder Bay, ON all without ever feeling like we were in anything other than a "normal" car. The only issue we've ever had with the car was failure of the HID headlights.

My hope that by bringing the Prius into the mainstream, is that people begin to understand how ALL their choices effect the environment, and that making better choices in cars, leads to better choices in other energy consumption.

Personally, we have cut back on our total energy consumption by over 50% net/net in the last ten years, Prius included.

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Icarus - Thank you for your reassurance re long trips. I agree .... with 8500 miles thus far, I drive my G3 like any other car. Personally, I am not sure why others make excuses for it's performance. Mine has the ability to go faster than I care to drive; it accelerates up the steepest of mountains, and certainly stays with the traffic flow ... all at significantly lower cas consumption, while maintaining creature comfort. What else could I ask?

A year ago we moved from a large home in the East into a townhome (in Utah). The energy savings has been enormous ... and we are ever-bit as comfortable. Add the Prius, and I am sure that I can match, or come close to your 50% savings. Not only are we driving significantly fewer files, we have improved our mileage from 23 mpg to over 50 mpg (Summer). Even the Winter 45 mpg is much improved (we were unable to maintain 23 mpg in the Winter in teh East.

In the East, we burned 1000 gallons of fuel oil/Winter to maintain the house at 67 degrees. The townhome is so much warmer, and the natural gas is far superior to fuel oil.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll say this anyway, even though I hate car/computer analogies.

The Prius is the iPhone of cars. Remember how all the phones sucked before the iPhone came out?

Remember how all the cars sucked before the Prius came out?

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

No, actually, I don't. I loved the old Palm Treos. I also loved the Nissan 240SX. I also loved the FC and FD RX-7. I can keep naming things, but I think too many people are a little hung-up on their consumption habits.

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved my motorola 3 watt analog bag phone. With an outside antenna it had a range no digital handset can come close to!

I loved my '58 VW 23 window micro-bus, and my BMW 2002 as well as my Syncro Westfalia, none of which were "mainstream".

PS I liked my first Pre windows computer, nor hard drive, only floppies. I could do a spread sheet, write a letter, and it almost always worked! I haven't had a windows machine that has work very well since 3.1. Every v since has been worse!

I have move on to the third Mac and am "fairly" happy.

10. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    .... maybe not as mainstream as previous posters have described ...

I work and do much daily travel & shopping in a blue collar community. If the visiblity of relatively new cars is an indicator, then I'd estimate that the population is fairly economically successful, considering the times.

Of these relatively new cars (presumably purchased both new & 2nd-hand), there are many expensive marques, SUV's & "luxury-pickups." But few Prii.

When I travel to white collar communities, I'm startled to see my Prius brethren in significant numbers -- to the point of wanting to ask where they've all been?!

And so, I'd add a "class divide" to the mix. I'm not calling it an "economic divide," b/c the blue-collar-favored cars actually are generally more expensive than the Prius.

If I've pressed some buttons here, I'm prepared to duck the hurled tomatoes.

11. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I remember something about a correlation related to education level. I wonder if that is a factor that effects auto choice.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A