1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proper way of draining and filling coolant.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rudd, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Rudd

Rudd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, So i been filling up my engine coolant by itself since i replaced my water pump. I put it in maintenance mode and was almost sure all air bubbles were out. I'm still getting air bubbles and they shoot back to the coolant violently when it's hot. I just saw guy do both engine and inverter drain simultaneously so i'm kind of wondering if i was supposed to do that to make sure no air in the cooling system. Can you do one at a time or i have to do both at the same time?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if the bubbles are coming back "violently", then you most likely have a bad headgasket. You should check for that

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are test kits involving a liquid that changes color when exposed to exhaust. You can put one over your coolant bottle in place of the cap, run the engine and see some of those bubbles "violently" shooting back, then slurp up the air from the bottle and see if the liquid changes color.

If it does, the bubbles are really exhaust, and you've got a likely head gasket leak.

If it doesn't, they're just air straggling out. This cooling system is designed to eventually burp those back to the coolant bottle like that, so as long as the bubbles aren't exhaust, it may not be a big deal. Just be sure to top the level back up to F (when cold) if it drops below that. If it repeatedly drops, look for a leak.