1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

proper way to remove spark plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cnschult, May 21, 2012.

1. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    okay as a break between NBA games I just watched yesterdays Motorweek and in Goss' Garage he gave the following advice for properly removing spark plugs in an aluminum block:
    1. loosen each plug a quarter turn only.
    this loosens the carbon build up, the reason you don't remove the spark plugs all the way is the carbon would then back up into the threads which apparently is really bad for aluminum blocks.
    2. turn engine on and give it a really good rev.
    this will remove the loose carbon from the cylinders.
    3. now back the spark plugs the rest of the way, never jerk one that won't turn, instead flip your socket to screw it back in part way, then loosen it again, this time consuming process is called "walking" it out and is again the proper method for aluminum blocks.

I'm at 53K miles but my car is a 2004 so I'm considering doing this just to anti-seize my spark plugs so that when I do hit 100K they won't be too tough to replace. I hope this helps and if you disagree plz don't yell at me, I'm just a messenger trying to pass on helpful information.

1 person likes this.