1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Proposed freeze of mileage regulations

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 5, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: The EPA’s fuel economy rollback has a bizarre justification - Vox

The Environmental Protection Agency is starting to roll back one of the most important policies for limiting climate change of the Obama era. The agency is also picking a fight with states that want tougher car emission rules, setting itself up for a knock-down, drag-out legal fight.

The proposal, released Thursday morning by the EPA and the US Department of Transportation, would ramp up fuel economy standards for cars and light-duty trucks until 2021 and then freeze them. The change would also revoke California’s waiver to set its own rules under the Clean Air Act, rules that 13 other states and the District of Columbia also follow.
    . . .

Rule changes are advertised in the Federal Register where anyone can post a comment which look to be open until October. Submitting a comment doesn't mean the rule will be stopped but sending a copy to your Congress critters or meeting them face-to-face would help.

So read the proposed rules and then craft your reply. In my case, it will cite recent papers on fires, droughts, and floods due to climate change. I'll also include an economic argument that letting foreign countries lead the mileage race will eviscerate USA exports of cars and trucks. I will also point out that efficient military vehicles reduces how many supply convoys bringing in fuel.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    cycledrum, telmo744 and hill like this.
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And oh my aren't we having droughts and wildfires in CA. Read a Univ. of CA study that wildfires have become larger and season longer since the 1980's.
    One argument from Trump n EPA is ... people won't be able to afford the more expensive cars with higher FE, won't be able to buy newer, more efficient car. Well, guess what ... if the Trumpers win, the cars will have lower FE and still be just as expensive as they would have been with higher FE. It's a ruse, their argument.

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Unless I heard this wrong on the news, aren't they just proposing to freeze them temporarily at the 2020 mark instead of the 2025 where it ended anyways?

Is it possible it may have more to do with the manufacturers and the "CARB" state waivers? I remember how GM complained about this endlessly back in my days at the dealership.

As for me I'd be happy with making all 50 states the same. So long as we all agreed to the high standard.

bwilson4web likes this.