1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proposed Improvements For Future Prius Plugin

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cproaudio, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now that the final version of the Plugin Prius is set in stone, what do you guys wish for for the 2016 Prius Plugin? I would keep all the current features and add the following.

My number 1 request is 40-50miles of city EV range at up to 70mph. I don't mind if the highway EV range reduced to 30 miles.
    55-60MPG combined once the pack is depleted.
    Add a spare tire instead of tire repair kit.
    extremely aggressive regen braking. I'm talking 60mph-0 in less than 200 feet on regen only.
    4 digit CONS MPG readout capable of displaying 999.9MPG
    make solar/sun roof available with advanced tech pack. Make the solar roof capable of trickle charging the PHEV pack or cooling the cabin.
    Add a more advance self driving system than the current LKA.
    Use a PCS system that can actually stop the vehicle before collision and also capable of detecting pedestrians .
    DRCC with less aggressive acceleration than the current version or at least make it user selectable mild or aggressive.
    A better parking assist.
    USB port that accepts both FAT32 and NTFS file system and not limited to 16GB.
    5 door SKS
    charge port in front and rear of the car.
    high resolution 8" touch screen that runs Android
    dual zone climate control
    I have many more but I'm just being picky.

2. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I'll go more towards the creature comforts. Since they high end model has power seats, I would like to see a memory feature added - always adjusting the seats between my wife and I.

3. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would like a retractable 110v cord in the hatch. Open it, pull out as much as you need to get to a plug then close it all weather tight.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Great seeing you at GDE last weekend!

I'm going to inject a sense of reality into this, thinking about *today's* technology. In 4 years, many of these may have been solved.

In today's technology, that'd consume most of your trunk or the under-body, and would add significant weight. The demonstrators felt like pigs w/ the extra weight. The production units - not so much. Hopefully battery technology will improve at an attainable price point.

Or... there's always after-market.

Would it be okay to remove 5-10 miles of EV range? The missing tire is a trade-off for battery capacity in a design that is expected to last the life of the car (narrow SOC range in a larger pack). Or... set the expectation that your battery packs may need to be exchanged every 60k and allow them to fully charge/discharge. Not sure that's worth a spare.

Toyota does address this w/ a flat repair kit (don't use unless you want to pay to replace your TPMS sensor) and providing 2-3 years of roadside assistance.

In a few years, if they can design the battery to sit under the car, in the floor pan, center console, or other places, I could see the trade-off.

Already slated for production. Just not on the final prototypes we saw last weekend. Believe me, Doug and Erica (PriusTeam) weren't pleased when it was discovered either, despite the "prototype" disclaimers.

You'll have likely noticed that the energy monitor on the display audio units also showed 0% charge.

Make an efficient, light, and cost-effective solar panel and you'd find it trickle-charging the car. Otherwise, the weight penalty wouldn't be worth the gain. The current panel is somewhere along the lines of 60w and 62lbs, and peaks around 27v. Not too useful in charging a 2-300V pack. Include the step-up circuitry and you'll incur further losses.

There's also a slight safety concern - emergency personnel have to be trained to cover the solar panel to reduce the arc hazard in bright sunlight at 27V. Imagine if they had to deal with a voltage step while cutting into the vehicle because they forgot to put a blanket on the panel?

LKA was left off partially due to weight. It would have to get lighter (and cheaper) to add it back. I was slightly sad to hear it went too, but considering the Advance package is $7,525 more, I'm not sure we could have tolerated anything additional.

While this would be cool, certain situations cannot overcome physics. Most of the time pedestrians are involved, the goal becomes reducing impact rather than coming to a complete stop since they're far too close.

Regardless of better or worse, most people don't want or use it, thus it was removed from the entire line. The amount of time it takes to setup would get you killed in the streets of NYC.

Because the rear handles being three feet from a front handle that works is too far? I can stand mid-line to the rear door and reach the front to unlock, then open the rear door, and I have rather short arms. I wouldn't argue it's worth the extra cost.

I could almost agree with this until I recall the reasoning of why they moved it to the rear. They wanted to eliminate needless wiring and weight, thus moved it closer to the pack. Worst case, back into the parking spot to charge.

I did prefer it in the front too.

I would love this too. The partnership with Bing made me very sad, as did their references of "sending your search to the cloud" (a much over-used term).

I could see the argument for this in a Four or Five trim, but it's honestly approaching Lexus or Camry Hybrid XLE territory. I'd much rather support a conservative and agreeable climate control setting than introduce the ability for my passenger to destroy my MPG ;). What I would like to see, however, is rear passenger A/C vents now that the center console lid doesn't project into the rear.

I think at least one of the Prius Experts spoke up about this too - seems like it would be a minor add, but complexity adds cost and weight.

1 person likes this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reduce the cost! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Toyota supported additional battery packs, dealer installed.

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can see some of your items that you want, but have to agree with Spinner here on some of his thoughts. Here's some things I can think of:

- Ability to custom choose options. How about "choose 3 for $x". I know, difficult in doing and delays in delivery. It wouldn't necessarily be a big issue if they got that Alabama plant producing the Prius. It could also allow dealers to custom order for their lot. I could see some options being more popular in certain sections of the country.

- Standard 110v outlets INSIDE the car. The ability to plug in a laptop, etc.

- Better Navigation system. How about one that can update via Satellite for free (google maps partnership, anyone?). It would integrate well with an Android interface.

- SD based Android, or the ability to manually load an SD card with music on it to play via the interface. There's a lot you could do with this, and if you could hook it up to your laptop for your iTunes, you could run the iSyncr app and sync your library that way, too.

- Better handling, more comfortable ride.

- Rear HVAC vents would be great, too, as mentioned above.

Those are some of the things I can think of from the top of my head. As others said, aftermarket options exist if you want longer range. In fact, if enginer is working well, this could be a very good option for that kit. It may not be able to charge up the battery as fast as it's being used, but it could easily prolong the EV distance if you're in the city.

8. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about taking a page from Tesla, too. The ability to choose higher battery capacity at a set price. That way you're still using the Toyota technology and R&D expertise.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I don't want too many things since that would increase the price (and I'm sure Toyota wants to keep a price difference between it and the Lexus models) but a few things would be

1. Maybe different models. Toyota's experimenting with the Camry Hybrid LE and XLE models. A Prius PHV with different EV range to suit people's lifestyles. I presume they'll have plenty of information by then and have enough for say a 20 mile version and a 40 mile version (kinda like a 4 cylinder or a V6 version)

2. Keep the current scheme of eco-themed interior. I like the leaf-vein motif on the dashboard and the leaf design on the cloth seats. It's very unique and adds a splash of style to an otherwise plain dashboard (e.g. the 2004-2005 models).

3. 110V outlet for emergency backup and other small electronics

4. Keep the engine size. Do not increase it. 1.8 litres is just fine

5. Hopefully solar panel technology has improved that they can add it to recharge the battery or power the fan while weighing less than the current system

6. A-PCS. PCS is nice but not if it doesn't stop the car entirely and you have to replace the radar unit because it was damaged in a frontal collision

7. Don't care for the blind-spot monitoring system on the Camry. If the mirrors are properly shaped (I realise there's size vs. aero drag) and the pillars are thin enough, then visibility shouldn't be an issue.

8. HOWEVER, if there's a new, advanced blind-spot monitoring system that uses radar and camera to show the position of the neighbouring car on the MFD when the indicator is selected, that would be a cool tech feature. (It can work with backing up into a spot.. it can show the objects beside the vehicle on the MFD)

9. Prius PHV sports coupe??? :D (Imagine a racetrack version of that!)

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One of the things I liked about the Prius is that they are manufactured in Japan. I believe that the cars manufactured there have more stringent quality standards than the ones manufactured in the US.

It's convenient to have AC outlets, but it's actually inefficient. All electronics run on DC, so you are converting from DC to AC, back to DC, with losses at each conversion.

Updating via satellite would be unnecessarily expensive and complicated. Updating via a USB stick or over WiFi is fine.

The current features of the Prius are already better than this. Keep your music on your phone and play/control the music over Bluetooth.

11. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    People are already complaining about the cost of the two plug-in trims.

We need to remember the KISS principle - Keep It Simple (low cost).
    There's always after-market add-ons you can make which will drive up YOUR cost should you chose to add them while keeping the base trims at a reasonable cost.

The Dollar has been on a downward slide compared to the Yen. Five years ago there where 117 yen to the dollar. Today it is 76+ yen to the dollar. So the Prius will keep going up in price as long as the dollar keeps sliding downward. Remember - Keep it Simple and keep the price down.

12. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My guess is that the components will still be made by the current manufacturers, and imported into the USA for assembly at the plant. I was more using that to show how the turn around time could be drastically cut, IF that particular item happened.

True, but it sure beats carrying around a power inverter that goes into the cigarette lighter. And the power loss itself isn't that great, since what you'd be plugging in isn't very power hungry. Most new laptops are quite efficient compared to their predecessors. Just imagine how nice it would be for parents with kids and all their need for batteries/recharging their entertainment.

Agreed. I forgot to add that when I typed that up last night. My guess is via WiFi updating.

That works great for the 50% or so of drivers with a smart phone. I don't really want to leave the rest of them out in the dark because they don't have one. Not to mention, blue tooth streaming will kill your phone battery for music (same with an iPod Touch), to where you'll now have to plug it in to charge it. If it's controlled via the existing touch controls, now you're not fiddling with your phone while driving, either. I'm not saying to eliminate the bluetooth option, but expand to offer another option.

13. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    City driving is below 40 mph (In some places it's 20 MPH). I'm not sure why you want to do 70 mph downtown among pedestrians.

If you are talking highway or interstate driving but with forced EV mode up to 70 MPH I'd still find "city EV" a poor name for it.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just another vote for reinstating the spare tire, without sacrificing battery capacity. I'm sure it could be done. I believe the plug-in battery occupies the same zone as the black plastic underfloor tray on a regular Prius, and there's still a void underneath where a spare tire could fit, except: it's inaccessable (unless you want to pull out the battery to get at the spare;)). If that's the case:

The sheet metal at the underside of hatch could be reworked: pushed up, to the underside of plug-in battery, and a spare tire could be mounted under the body, truck-style.

15. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    All good ideas, except, they said the pack charger is now living in the space of the spare tire...

16. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Complex components will be sourced from Japan, but simpler ones are sourced locally. Anyhow, that's not the concern when it comes to quality. Quality assembly of the components to stringent tolerances is what concerns me.

I understand that local manufacturing may allow customization, but there is probably a trade-off between manufacturing locally/allowing customization and quality. I understand the desire for customization, but given a trade off between the two, I prefer quality.

For the specific example of a laptop, buying a laptop power adapter that supports both AC and DC solves the problem less expensively than a car option. Also, the only additional thing you need to carry is a small modular car adapter plug.

Personally, I like the idea of an AC outlet in the Prius; there is a JDM upgrade available for the Gen II Prius, but after thinking about what I would actually use it for, it didn't make sense for the effort and cost to add it. Perhaps you have better uses for it.

The Bluetooth controls works for an iPod Touch as well and you can plug it in via USB to charge/play it as well. The point is the feature already exists, so there's no need request another more complicated way of doing things. If you want to sync wirelessly, just wait for iOS 5 to come out which supports wirelessly syncing. The MP3 player/smartphone can give you this functionality sooner and cheaper than a car option.

Ultimately, the additional options significantly increase the price of the Prius. The desire to customize speaks to getting just the options desired while keeping the price as low as possible. I am simply suggesting being judicious about the features being added, since there is a tradeoff in both cost and weight.

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can control your iPod Touch via the nav/radio controls? Did I totally miss that function over the past 2+ years? Bad me if that's the case, because I didn't know it could be done. I got the pleasure of getting the Prius before they added the USB port to them, also.

I'd still prefer a SD card slot for loading music - I'd rather run the risk of losing a $30 card than a $300 iPod. Personal preference, really.

I agree with starting cheaper, but having additional options that could be installed during assembly would be a lot nicer for me. One of the reasons I stuck with the Prius 3 (III) was because I didn't want some of the forced options that came along with the higher models or packages you could get. I wanted half of one, half of another. I get that they do that for ease of assembly, getting cars built, etc. Otherwise, you end up with tons of possible combinations and it creates some chaos. Every option has its tradeoffs.

18. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was referring specifically to the Prius Plug-In (in context of the topic of this thread) which has Entune which does have that feature:
    Multimedia

Again, already supported in the Prius Plug-In (see link above) at least w/ a USB drive. You can use a USB SD card adapter if you insist on a SD card.

My responses were related to the wireless syncing feature, which would probably cost as much or more than the $300 iPod. And if you just leave it in the car (like you would be forced to with a car option), I don't see how you would be likely to lose it.

19. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2 years time, Toyota has made the battery pack small enough to lower the trunk floor to the same height as the none PHEV and did you see how big that storage compartment? I remember the preproduction demo had barely enough space to store the charge plug. If Toyota redesign the sparetire compartment to add more room and use all the space and raise the floor by an inch, they can probably squeeze a 12 KW with 10kw useable pack in there, the plugin version will get at least 35 mile range. They can also put a smaller pack in there like a 5KW and still be able to put a spare tire in there. If aftermarket conversion kit can squeeze a 10KW kit while keeping the spare tire, why can't Toyota do it? They got million dollar computers just to design how the buttons look.
    As for the rest of the features, they're improvements to the current technologies. I remember back when Pentium 133mhz first came out, it cost $500. I got my i7 920 D0 for $200 2 years ago. HTC came out with the Kaiser in 07. It cost $300 on 2 year contract. Now, I got an LG Thrill for $30 on 2 year contract. Technology will always improve. 30 years ago, power windows used to 12awg wires. Now, they use 16 awg while some use 18 awg for power while adding auto up and down.
    A better LKA system would only require a few more sensors and better programming. They already got the basic foundation. Now, they just need to improve on it. Same with PCS.

20. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Which aftermarket conversion can fit 10KWh and keep the spare tire? My understanding is that you can fit 4KWh and keep the spare tire, but going to 8KWh means losing the spare tire.