1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proposed Traction Battery Simple Test/Database.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uart, Sep 24, 2009.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've noticed that people often ask questions here relating to the health of their traction battery and are sometimes concerned that it might be in less than perfect condition.

I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in having a thread here dedicated to making a simple and hopefully somewhat "standard" test for comparing the performance of the traction battery in an unmodified Gen II Prius. I thought that if various people contributed their test results then it would form a kind of a database of typical battery capacity that would provide a useful reference.

Heres what I'd propose as a first draft for a standard traction battery test.

[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT]. Choose a day when the weather is not too cold and record the temperature as part of the results.

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT]Find a small and reasonably flat circuit of very quiet roads or a large carpark in which to do the test.

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT]Drive the car for approx 15 minutes or so before the test at light load cruising speed on flat roads so that the ICE is powering the car and MG1 is lightly charging the battery. In this state I think the ICE just charges the battery to a preset level and holds it there (two bars from full). Don't deliberately regenerate down Mount Everest or anything to get all the bars up on the battery gauge just so you can "win". It's meant to be a standard test, not a dick contest. :D
    [FONT=&quot]
    4. [/FONT]Drive the test circuit in EV mode at a slow speed (I'm thinking say 12 to 15 mph but I'm open to suggestions here) until the battery gauge goes down to only 2 bars and the ICE kicks in. Record the total distance travelled in EV mode and the temperature and post results here (along with the year model of the car and the total miles on the odometer).

Is anybody interested in contributing to this? I haven't even done the test myself as yet because I thought we'd get agreement on the standard conditions of the test first and the willingness of at least a few people to participate (in their own time of course).

Let me know what you think of the idea. :)